none
Blocking Certain Domains on my DNS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am trying to block certain domains on my DNS server(Windows 2008 R2).  Alongside single domains, I would like to block bulk malicious domains.  I am not as fluent when it come DNS so any in depth help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi flextera

>>Blocking Certain Domains on my DNS Server

You could create a zone for that domain.No need to create any records, unless you want to point them to a webserver explaining why they are there.Having a DNS zone will make you authoritative for it.When people click on the phishing links, their computers will try to resolve the name with your DNS, and of course, will not be able to access the malware site.

For example, If you want to block www.youtube.com, you could create a zone called youtube.com, and don't create any records.

In addition, please check if the following link is helpful:

How to block or sinkhole domains in Windows Server 2008

https://community.jisc.ac.uk/library/janet-services-documentation/how-block-or-sinkhole-domains-windows-server-2008

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Hi flextera

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:32 AM