Performance of SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I install SCOM 2012 R2 servers (two virtual servers - managment server and database server) for monitoring windows servers (25) and network devices (200).

Right now the perfomance of my SCOM is not so good as want.

If i add more windows servers and device for monitoring the performance will be downgrade.

How i can check where is a bottleneck in SCOM (i mean: what slowly or need additional - disk, memory, CPU)?

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you have performance issue, you can follow the link below to troubleshoot it:

Troubleshooting System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) Server performance

http://www.more2know.nl/2013/04/22/troubleshooting-system-management-operation-manager-server-scom-performance/

In addition, here is an article about tweaking SCOM 2012 Management Servers for large environments:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2014/06/25/tweaking-scom-2012-management-servers-for-large-environments.aspx

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:00 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

in Addition to what Yan Li said I would also address the following

- Number of servers for network device monitoring. Using the SCOM sizing helper tool you can check what are the minimum hardware requirements for servers, dedicated to monitor network devices.

Operations Manager 2012 Sizing Helper Tool

In your case for about 200+ network devices you will need a resource pool of minimum of 2 servers, dedicated only to network device monitoring. For monitoring about 100 network devices your servers need to have a minimum of 16G RAM and 4 CPU cores. As you have 200 network devices and also plan to add more of them I will go for 2 servers in a resource pool, each having 32GB of RAM and 8 CPU cores. If you don't go for that and the number of the monitored network devices grows, you will most probably face some bottlenecks in CPU or RAM. Doing network monitoring of 200 network devices with one single server, which monitors also Windows systems (is not dedicated) will definitely result in performance issues.

- Performance of your DBs. You can create multiple files for your temdbs in order to distribute the load per processor. You can find more information here:

Optimizing tempdb Performance

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:20 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you have performance issue, you can follow the link below to troubleshoot it:

Troubleshooting System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) Server performance

http://www.more2know.nl/2013/04/22/troubleshooting-system-management-operation-manager-server-scom-performance/

In addition, here is an article about tweaking SCOM 2012 Management Servers for large environments:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2014/06/25/tweaking-scom-2012-management-servers-for-large-environments.aspx

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:19 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

in Addition to what Yan Li said I would also address the following

- Number of servers for network device monitoring. Using the SCOM sizing helper tool you can check what are the minimum hardware requirements for servers, dedicated to monitor network devices.

Operations Manager 2012 Sizing Helper Tool

In your case for about 200+ network devices you will need a resource pool of minimum of 2 servers, dedicated only to network device monitoring. For monitoring about 100 network devices your servers need to have a minimum of 16G RAM and 4 CPU cores. As you have 200 network devices and also plan to add more of them I will go for 2 servers in a resource pool, each having 32GB of RAM and 8 CPU cores. If you don't go for that and the number of the monitored network devices grows, you will most probably face some bottlenecks in CPU or RAM. Doing network monitoring of 200 network devices with one single server, which monitors also Windows systems (is not dedicated) will definitely result in performance issues.

- Performance of your DBs. You can create multiple files for your temdbs in order to distribute the load per processor. You can find more information here:

Optimizing tempdb Performance

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:20 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:32 AM
  • Hi.

I check on all (six servers) servers:

CPU usage -  max = 31%

Memory usage -  max = 44%

Disk IOPS (datastore I/O) - average = 33

Network usage - max=8MBps

but perfomance of my console SCOM is not so good as want.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

The performance not only related to those counters, please follow the links we provided to do more troubleshooting.

Regards,

Yan Li

Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:17 AM