none
Groups/Categories/Users setup in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am trying to set up the following security structure within a new Project Server 2010 environment (the organization has 4 divisions).

Group 1: Division 1 Team (All members of division 1 to have the ability to view their division's projects, schedules and report on progress by tasks assigned to them)
    Group 2: Division 1 Project Managers (Group 1 abilities + Ability to create/update projects schedules, assign tasks for projects within their division and assign resources to them)

Similarly I need Division 2, 3 and 4 setup.

PMO [ADMIN] (To have the ability to create the projects and assign to the appropriate division)

Management (To have the ability to view progress for all projects, regardless of the division)

Is it possible for me to assign team members to these groups via some sort of an Active Directory synch? How can I go about setting up this kind of structure?

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers to relevant articles.

Ali

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hello aaJ2007sdfds

THe answer to your basic question is yes.  You can associate "Manage Groups" with Active Directory groups.  As you may already know, when you go into a group, there is a find "Find Group" in which you can associate a group with AD.

However, there is lot more detail than can explain in this post.  And be aware that the sync sometimes does things that you don't expect.  Such as remove people who are not in the group.  Expected behavior but not aways what you want.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hello aaJ2007sdfds

THe answer to your basic question is yes.  You can associate "Manage Groups" with Active Directory groups.  As you may already know, when you go into a group, there is a find "Find Group" in which you can associate a group with AD.

However, there is lot more detail than can explain in this post.  And be aware that the sync sometimes does things that you don't expect.  Such as remove people who are not in the group.  Expected behavior but not aways what you want.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I guess the one thing I am struggling with is the concept of User vs Resource. In my case all team members need access to PWA and will also work on projects so basically they will all be users and resources. How can I go about creating them as both. I would like to at least initialize the list once through A/D as adding them all manually would be a painful task.

Once added then I can assign them to appropriate groups and set up categories so that one division's user does not modify another division's project.

Does this make sense?

Ali

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:27 PM