Sequencing an app with a Junction Point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I'm using App-V 5.1, trying to sequence an in-house app which contains the following custom Junction Point:
    C:\app\Chi\CURR -> C:\app\Chi\PROD 
    (CURR is the JP pointing to the existing PROD directory)

The problem I have is, even though the Junction Point is visible as part of the installation and appears NATIVELY on the sequencing machine, it does NOT carry over into the sequence or become available when the resulting sequence published on an App-V client machine. 
    I've tried various approaches of recreating the Junction Point with mklink and also Junction.exe during sequencing to no avail.

From the google searches I've done I can see that App-V supports the existing Native OS Junction Points, but struggle to find any info on creating a new Junction Point within a sequence.  
    Does anyone know if it is actually possible to do this? The OS is Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
    Jeremy

Monday, July 11, 2016 2:53 PM

Answers

• Where did you see that junction points are supported? I don't believe this would work.

What is the point of the junction point? What is the need?

You can create a link locally and an App-V application can use it but I don't believe the App-V sequence itself can capture and use a junction point\link inside it's virtual environment.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Jezza51 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:29 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 5:30 PM

All replies

• Where did you see that junction points are supported? I don't believe this would work.

What is the point of the junction point? What is the need?

You can create a link locally and an App-V application can use it but I don't believe the App-V sequence itself can capture and use a junction point\link inside it's virtual environment.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Jezza51 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:29 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Thanks Rory, you have confirmed my suspicions.

For what it's worth, this is the link where I saw it was supported:
    jsconsulting.services/2014/07/does-app-v-5-0-support-junction-points/
    (add www. onto the start of the link above, my post wasn't accepted when I had the full link)

I don't know why the Junction Point is required, other than it is part of the in-house developer's installation. He's no longer around to ask.
    I'm going to rethink the app and decide whether to have part of the install outside the bubble, or to not virtualize it at all.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers
    Jeremy

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:29 AM