Sequencing Microsoft Power BI Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

So I'm trying to sequence Microsoft Power BI Desktop using App-V 5.0. The sequencing has gone through fine but when I then run the appv package on my test machine I get the following error:

Error Message:

The type initializer for 'Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService' threw an exception.

Stack Trace:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path1
       at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.TryEnsureStarted()
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.TryCreateDatabase(Version version, Stream abfStream, String& databaseName, LocalizedString& errorMessage)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.TryCreateDatabase(Version version, Stream abfStream, IAnalysisServicesDatabase& database, LocalizedString& errorMessage)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.BIPackageCreatorDesigner.TryLoadDataModel(IAnalysisServicesService analysisServices, BIPackage package, IAnalysisServicesDatabase& database, LocalizedString& errorMessage)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.BIPackageCreatorDesigner.TryInitializeAnalysisServicesDatabase(BIPackage biPackage, BIPackageOpenError& error)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.BIPackageCreatorDesigner.OpenBIPackage()
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass8.<Main>b__1()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.Send(SynchronizationContext context, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

I've gone back over all the files and registry values and I can't find any differences between the installed version and my app-v package, I've also allowed full write permissions to the virtual file and registry locations as well as allowing named objects and COM objects access to the local system. I am at a loss as to what is causing this exception error.

Has anyone else tried to sequence this application and successfully got it to launch?

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:27 AM

Answers

• I just performed sequence from PBIDesktop_x64.msi in 5.1.
    If I use default settings (with running the app) I get the same error. So I resequenced, and this time I chose the default installdir as PVAD, and did NOT start the application. After I published the app seems to start and work fine.

• Proposed as answer by Normannetje Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bren B Friday, December 18, 2015 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:29 AM

All replies

• Try running Procmon and see what's happening when you launch the shortcut.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Have run procmon a few times while launching the shortcut and there is nothing out of the ordinary that I can see in the logs.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:57 AM
  • I got the same issue, any luck solving this?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:16 AM
  • I just performed sequence from PBIDesktop_x64.msi in 5.1.
    If I use default settings (with running the app) I get the same error. So I resequenced, and this time I chose the default installdir as PVAD, and did NOT start the application. After I published the app seems to start and work fine.

• Proposed as answer by Normannetje Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bren B Friday, December 18, 2015 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:29 AM
  • Thank Tiberivs,

This also works on 5.0 SP3 using PVAD.

You can also start de application and tweak the setting, just choose the default installdir as PVAD.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:47 AM