Pagefile, Dumpfile and dedicateddumpfile RRS feed

• Question

• If my server has 12GB ram and I would like to have full memory dump during system crash.

1. Page file I Should set to 12GB ? or Dumpfile should set to 12GB ?

2. if using dedicatededumpfile, then no need to set Dumpfile ?

3. Any relationship between pagefile vs dumpfile vs dedicateddumpfile ?

Monday, April 20, 2020 6:11 AM

All replies

• Do you actually intend to analyze 12 GB dumpfile?

Minidump is likely suffice in most cases - unless you really are prepared to perform in-depth troubleshooting

hth
    Marcin

Monday, April 20, 2020 10:15 AM
  • Hi sakurai_db.

There is no relationship between those three file types: the only "relation" that could be mentioned is the fact that the dedicated dump file is basically a page file that is reserved for use only by the system crash dump routines.
    I would recommend leaving Windows managing the size of the page file: it would be easier for you.
    The size of the memory dump file depends on the option you choose in the "Startup and Recovery" section of the "Advanced" tab for the System Properties: the small dump file is usually enough for troubleshooting, unless you really need to dive deep into an issue; the same considerations could apply to the size of the dedicated dump file too, even if you have to set it by the Registry.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, April 20, 2020 10:33 AM
  • Question1: No, shouldn’t. In general, use System managed paging file size is the common practice. And, when troubleshoot crash issue, minidump files(<2MB) are the most commonly used.

Question2: Not exactly. The dedicated dump file is basically a page file that is reserved for use only by the system crash dump routines. It is not used for paging virtual memory. Like a page file, the system process keeps an open handle to the dedicated dump file, which prevents it from being deleted. When you manually initiate a memory dump, or the system crashes on its own, the data is written into the dedicated dump file instead of the page file on the system drive.

Question3: No, no relationship.

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:06 AM