Virtual memory size RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Latitude E6530 Running Win 7x64 with 16GB of RAM. My daily workload usually keeps my RAM utilization around 75-85%. Currently I have a hard set page file size of 8GB with a max size of 12GB to allow for growth. But that setting was before I increased my RAM to 16GB. I am looking for a page file size recommendation that will allow the best performance of my system. Should I decrease the PF size due to the increase of physical RAM or let Windows manage the sizing?

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:30 PM

Answers

• U5309

You do not have much more ram to work with  so decreasing the page file might trigger a crash and with a page file that is smaller than the actual ram if you crash the log files (called DMPS) cannot be saved.  I guess my recommendation would be to let windows manage it (or buy more ram)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:02 PM

All replies

• U5309

You do not have much more ram to work with  so decreasing the page file might trigger a crash and with a page file that is smaller than the actual ram if you crash the log files (called DMPS) cannot be saved.  I guess my recommendation would be to let windows manage it (or buy more ram)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:02 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2860880

Operating system Minimum page file size Maximum page file size
    Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 with less than 1 GB of RAM 1.5 x RAM 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 with more than 1 GB of RAM 1 x RAM 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 1 x RAM 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 1 x RAM 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Depends on crash dump setting* 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Depends on crash dump setting* 3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger
    Friday, December 5, 2014 5:10 PM