none
Cannot access Settings

Question

• Hi,

I rolled out Windows 10 across 300 computers over the summer. On quite a few I am unable to access the settings menu or the action centre meaning I can't manually run an update.

There doesnt seem a reason for this and my only workaround is to reinstall which is a pain.

I have tried

running sfc which does sow up an error and repairs it but still no settings

created a new admin user, nothing

Run the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} command.. this doesnt give any output, it just goes back to the prompt.

I was running W10 Edu which I thought was the issue but have gone onto 2016 LTSB now and the issue is still here.

I can force the cumulative update on remotely and they are running version 10.0.14393.1066 now.

Really could do with a fix as its very flakey.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Sim,

Did this issue occur on all your 300 computers or some of them?

What's error message or symptoms when you attempt to access the Settings?

Did these computer join the domain?

If yes, what if you remove one test computer from the domain and clear all group policy?

Now i suggest you run the following troubleshooter firstly for test:

Run troubleshooter 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

its random, I have approx 30 out of 300 showing this behaviour. yes they are joined to the domain. I have tried to unjoin them and test it without any GP but they still fail.

The troubleshooter doesnt work as I disable UAC on my network. I know its not best practise but its still too intrusive for my liking.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:46 AM
  • unable to access the settings menu or the action centre meaning I can't manually run an update. 

Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)   ms-settings:windowsupdate

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:37 AM
  • Friday, April 21, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Install failed.

Looks like it knew what you wanted but just couldn't do it for some reason?  Maybe  Get-AppxLog  would show something?  Anything in Reliability Monitor?  Or more generally in msinfo32.exe Windows Error Reporting section.  Otherwise I don't know any other more explicitly relevant traces or logs.  I would be running ProcMon to try to find some.  Filter with Operation Is WriteFile and summarize with Count Occurrences on the Path field.

Oh.  I just noticed you said you disable UAC.  I imagine that will be your problem for this case.  So before doing anything else I would undo that.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:05 PM
  • So I updated to creator edition to see if that helped and it didn't.

What I did find is that all apps fail to open. If I run the command 

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I get some errors regarding applocker blocking the install. 

I removed the computer from any policies and created a blank one as stated in here

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791751(v=ws.10).aspx

and it still shows up a applocker error

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment operation is blocked by policy.
    Please contact your system administrator. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073D01)
    error 0x800704EC: Deployment of package Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.16112.11601.0_neutral_resources.scale-150_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    was blocked by AppLocker.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] caca35b1-bdaf-0000-af4c-cacaafbdd201 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID caca35b1-bdaf-0000-af4c-cacaafbdd201
    At line:1 char:37
    + ... s| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Strange

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:48 AM
  • Please contact your system administrator. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073D01)

error 0x800704EC: Deployment of package 

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] caca35b1-bdaf-0000-af4c-cacaafbdd201 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID caca35b1-bdaf-0000-af4c-cacaafbdd201

PS>net helpmsg (0x3D01)
    The package deployment operation is blocked by policy. Please contact your system administrator.
    PS>net helpmsg (0x4EC)
    This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.
    PS>

Did you try using Get-AppxLog ?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:39 AM
  • PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-AppxLog

Time                      ID           Message
    ----                      --           -------
    25/04/2017 14:05:30       301          The calling process is svchost.exe
    25/04/2017 14:05:30       603          Started deployment SetDefaultVolumeOperation operation on
                                           a package with main parameter:  and Options: 0. See
                                           http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help
                                           diagnosing app deployment issues.

I'll keep looking

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:11 PM
  • See   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help                                        diagnosing app deployment issues.

PS>Get-AppxLog | Out-GridView

Cool!  Good find.  Until now I have been doing  Get-AppxLog -All | Clip

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:51 PM