none
Corrupted Project in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ongoing issue with a corrupted project

1) the project manager can no longer get to the Approval Center (he gets an access denied message).

2) Project will not publish. 23000 Error below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <errinfo>
     <general>
      <class name="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Message">
       <error id="23000" name="ProjectPublishFailure" uid="eb54f900-0de0-42ae-b5c8-7fadc0d77538" projectuid="694b6644-e755-449a-8623-bb57a40a2b88" messagetype="Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.PublishProjectMessage" messageID="60" stage="" blocking="Block"/>
      </class>
      <class name="Queue">
       <error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="2e934dd3-fd8f-4be6-ad03-59b0b1f310e2" JobUID="eb943426-a73e-4199-8436-8b24576b4e1f" ComputerName="PRJSVRAPPP01" GroupType="ProjectPublish" MessageType="PublishProjectMessage" MessageId="60" Stage=""/>
      </class>
     </general>
    </errinfo>

3) Items cannot be removed from timesheets or approved by timesheet managers

any help is appreciated

Thanks

pattie

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• Pattie --

If the PM cannot publish the project, this is a sure sign the project is corrupted.  To resolve the corruption, I would recommend that the PM try using the Save for Sharing feature as documented in the following blog post:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=197

The web site referenced in the preceding URL is a bit slow today, so please be patient and wait for the page to load.  After your PM uses the Save for Sharing feature, please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Hi Dale. I am sorry. i should have been more clear. I used the Save for sharing feature, and we were able to recover the project enough to move forward. However, the issue is that tasks from the old project (with an '_published' appended to the end) are still showing up in the timesheets (#3 above) and since they are still in the timesheets, the approval process does not complete and leaves old tasks hanging so that they cannot be approved.

The issue with the PM not having access to the approval center is a completely different issue but possibly connected somehow.

Here was our sequence of events.

1) 'Project a_published' became corrupted

2) used the Save for sharing fetuare and was able to recover project.  Saved the project and was able to move forward with 'project a'

3) tasks from both projects still appear on timesheets

4) timesheet manager cannot approve because timesheets appear to be waiting for project a_published to be approved before going into manager's queue.

5) tasks from old project cannot be removed from timesheets because old project will not publish.

Thanks

P

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:12 PM
  • PattieK --

Did the PM in question actually publish the project after using the Save for Sharing feature?  Are you saying that the version of the project in the Published database is different from the version in the Draft database?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Hi Dale. I think teh newest version of the project is differnt in the draft vs. the published dbs, AND i think we still have the old corrupted project sitting out there. 

We published the newest version of the plan immedidately after completing the save for sharing process . So, in effect, we have the same tasks showing up on timesheets - one for 'project a' and one for the corrupted 'project a_published'.

Also, just now, in an effort to get to the tasks of 'project a' so we can approve them, i made myself the status manager of all tasks and republished succesfully. This was in hopes that the i could at least see the tasks in my queue for approval.  No such luck. the project will publish sucessfully, but those tasks seem to be somewhere in limbo awaiting approval.

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:52 PM
  • PattieK --

When your PM used the Save for Sharing feature, he/she was supposed to save the repaired copy of the project on top of the corrupted project.  By doing this, there would be only ONE copy of this project, not two.  So, something was wrong with the process somewhere.  Given the duplicate assignments showing up on the Timesheets of your team members, I can only think that you are going to need to delete the old copy of this project.  What do you think?  Also, I would gladly invite others in this forum to share their ideas as well.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Well, i don't think, given how already corrupted this is, that that will cause any more issues. Do you think that deleting the project will remove the tasks from timesheets?

Our DBAs are protective of their databases, here, but do you think there is any chance that data has been corrupted and could be altered with a sql statement of some kind.

i will have him delete the project.

Thanks for your guidance.

Pattie

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Pattie --

If there are two copies of the project in the Project Server 2010 database, then one of the copies needs to be deleted.  Before you would have your Project Server administrator delete anything, ask your him/her to try the following:

1. Launch Microsoft Project 2010 and connect to Project Server.
    2. Click File > Open > Retrieve the list of all projects in Project Server.
    3. Find the project in question in the list of projects in the Draft database.

Do you see TWO copies of this project in the Draft database of Project Server, or only one?  If you see two copies of the project, then one of them needs to be deleted.  Again, I want to stress that the Project Server administrator should NOT delete anything until he/she runs the steps above and answers the question.

Also, no, there is no SQL script that can be run to uncorrupt the project.  Sorry.  That is why we have to use the Save for Sharing feature.

Please let us know what your Project Server administrator finds.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Hi Dale. there were 2 copies so we deleted the corrupted one.   Nothing has changed:

1) PM cannot see tasks to approve

2) PWA Screen for PM continues to get Access denied error (as do I when I delegate myself as him)

3) Resources continue to see tasks from old corrupted project.

3) Timesheets cannot be approved because all time is in a pending submit status.

My question around the sql script was not so much to uncorrupt a project as it was to remove orphan tasks from the timesheet.

We have a bit of a mess on our hands. But I appreciate your help. 

Pattie

Friday, November 22, 2013 5:13 PM
  • PattieK --

You are welcome for the help, my friend.  My regret is that I was not able to help you to successfully resolve this problem.  Given the mess that you have, I would encourage you to open an incident with Microsoft Support and let them work with you to resolve the problem.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:02 PM