MAP Reports "The application encountered an error during database activites" when certain Windows 2k3 servers are included in the capture of performance metrics RRS feed

• Question

• I have a select few servers that when I attempt to capture performance metrics cause MAP to issue the error:

"The application encountered an error during database activies".

I have determined which servers these are by adding them one at a time into the text file I use and removing those which caused the error.  MAP is running on Vista Business 32 bit as a VM under Hyper-V.

I have verified that remote registry and remote admin are running on the servers in question.  In addition, I have been able to get some of the servers which originally caused the errors to work by making sure the following services were started:

background intelligent transfer service
    wmi performance adapter
    nt lm security support provider
    windows management instrumention driver extensions
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

Even with those services running, I still have a number of servers which will cause this error.  All servers and the MAP workstation are members of the same domain, and I am using a domain admin account.  Authentication, per the remote server security logs, is not an issue. 

I have not been able to determine the differences between the servers which cause the error and those that do not.  Firewall can be on or off, and both those which work and do not work are on the same subnet.  I have run the WMI utility as specified here in the forums, and can in fact run the CPU query used as an example.

Has anyone run into this? Any way to get them all included?  I tried using the virtualization candidates report in SCVMM 2008, however the SCVMM team informed me that I discovered a bug because we were using the Dell MP, which uses the same processorspeed varialble that Microsoft MP's do but build it with alpha information versus numeric representations.  Deleting the MP uncovered another bug in SCOM 2007 in that the data is not removed from the datawarehouse DB, so I'm left with MAP to generate my virtualization candidates or nothing at all.  Right now, I can only run it against a portion of my servers.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers

• Patrick,

This is something we haven't seen before.

Could you take a look in the log file created in the MAPS install directory under the bin\log directory?   If you wouldn't mind sharing that with us, I'll follow up with you privately with instructions on how you can send that to us for investigation.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:38 PM