Program not working (Need help) RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a software (it's a baseball hitting program) that is not working on my computer.  I am running Windows 7 HP 64.  If I change the compatibility settings, I can open the CD, click on the program itself and it will ask if I want to install.  Click OK and nothing happens.  I have tried running it my wifes computer and it runs fine.  She runs XP 32.  I can zip the files and send them to anyone off the CD if anyone thinks they can help me out.  Any help would be much appreciated!
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Which game is it? Check if there is any compatibility issues with windows 7 here first.

You can try install it in compatible mode:

1. Right click on the program's shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.  NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed

4. To Run a Program in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific previous version of Windows.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for. Suggest Windows XP (SP3)
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the program was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.

5. To Change the Settings for a Program -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program.

6. To Change the Privilege Level of a Program -
    NOTE: Runs the program as an administrator. Some programs require administrator privileges to run properly. If you are not currently logged on as an administrator, this option is not available.
    A) Check or uncheck the Run this program as an administrator box to enable or disable this option. 

7. To Change All of These Settings Above for All Users -
    NOTE: Lets you choose settings that will apply to all users on this computer.
    A) Click on the Change settings for all users button.
    B) Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 in this window to apply them to all users on the computer. 

C) Click on OK.
    8. Click on OK to apply the changes.

If still no go, you can consider Dave's suggestion, setup the xp mode to run the game.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:32 AM
  • sross, Hi let us start over here.
    let us forget about XP mode as it has low end graphics so I do not know how it would work for your program (not good for games / video).

Put the CD in the win 7 drive if it starts to install cancel it.

Open the my computer and then open the cd so you see the files.

Find the setup / install and highlite it, now right click on it, from the drop down menu select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    the program compatibility will open, click on "Try recommended settings".

A new window appears, click on "Start the program".

Watch the task bar, the installer will start minimized you will go click it to bring it up. 
    now start the installer, go thru the install as normal, keep an eye on the task bar as the installer prompts will be minimized as well.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:10 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:38 PM

All replies

• On the package the requirements should be listed, it is possible it will not run on 7 (using compatibility mode). Try a virtual machine running XP, that might work.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Which game is it? Check if there is any compatibility issues with windows 7 here first.

You can try install it in compatible mode:

1. Right click on the program's shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.  NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed

4. To Run a Program in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific previous version of Windows.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for. Suggest Windows XP (SP3)
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the program was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.

5. To Change the Settings for a Program -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program.

6. To Change the Privilege Level of a Program -
    NOTE: Runs the program as an administrator. Some programs require administrator privileges to run properly. If you are not currently logged on as an administrator, this option is not available.
    A) Check or uncheck the Run this program as an administrator box to enable or disable this option. 

7. To Change All of These Settings Above for All Users -
    NOTE: Lets you choose settings that will apply to all users on this computer.
    A) Click on the Change settings for all users button.
    B) Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 in this window to apply them to all users on the computer. 

C) Click on OK.
    8. Click on OK to apply the changes.

If still no go, you can consider Dave's suggestion, setup the xp mode to run the game.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Will running virtual pc work with Windows 7 HP?
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Ok, I've installed Virtual PC 2007.  I have an XP disk running install.  It goes through the Setup is loading files, such as the drivers etc.  Then it just says ssetup is starting Windows.  Doesn't do anything after that.  I've left it running for over 30min and still nothing. 

I've never ran into such a problem trying to install a OS onto a virtual drive before.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Anyone have any suggestions?  I still can't get XP to install correctly on a virtual drive.  I've tried Virtual PC 07 and Sun's VirtualBox.  Same problem.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:10 AM
  • What is the full name of the game? With that in mind, we can find more information on it. You may need to replace certain files manually with the files on Windows XP.

You can copy the installation files from the CD to local hard drive and install it again.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:54 AM
  • It's not a game.  It's called the Epstein Teaching System (it's a baseball instructional CD)
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:41 PM
  • It's something with XP somehow.  I can get it to install a copy of Ubuntu.  Still doesn't help me running the program, but I figured I'd check to see if I can install another OS.  Is it a limitation of Windows 7 HP?
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:34 AM
  • For xp mode, Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool  need to be installed correctly.

For the out dated game, windows 7 may not be able to find the corresponding dll file. I suggest copy all the files extracted during the installation in the windows xp system to win7. For every dll file, re-register them by running the following command:

Click start, trpe "regsvr32 XXXX.dll" (without quotation marks), presse enter. Repeat the steps in all the dll files found in windows xp installation file.

Friday, February 5, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Ok, now I'm going to show my stupidity.  Should I just open the XP install CD and copy the dll files into Windows 7 somewhere? 

Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:40 PM
    let us forget about XP mode as it has low end graphics so I do not know how it would work for your program (not good for games / video).

Find the setup / install and highlite it, now right click on it, from the drop down menu select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"

Watch the task bar, the installer will start minimized you will go click it to bring it up. 
    now start the installer, go thru the install as normal, keep an eye on the task bar as the installer prompts will be minimized as well.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:10 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:38 PM
  • As I am not the program writter, I suppose you can copy all the dll files from the CD and all the installed program on Windows XP local drive to check. Or just forget it. The application is incompatible with windows 7.(missing file or wrong file version)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:51 AM

I do all of this and it's starting to work.  I now get a error message.  The .dxr is not a director file.  I know it's a shockwave/adobe extension, but I have the most up to date shockwave player.  I've done some research and it seems that the only solution out there is to turn of Anti-Virus.  Well did that, and still doesn't work.  Another solution from someone here may be helpful.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:31 AM