"Windows cannot access \\Server Name\File name" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SBS 2003 and am having a problem with access a folder on a new HDD that I installed, Everything was working fine and I had no problem access any file or folder on the server until one of my drives died and I had to replace it. I created a new folder on the HDD and set it to share giving myself access to it. Now when I try to access the folder on the server from my laptop I get the message "Windows cannot access \\Server Name\File name" "You do not have permission to access \\Server Name\File name. Contact your network administrator to request access" I am the network administrator. I have given myself Full access to the folder on the server, but I am at a loss as to why I cannot access with my laptop. This is only happening to the folders on the new HDD and not any folders on the other HDD's
    Friday, April 24, 2020 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you if specific file or sharing folder is not accessible? 

On the client computer, please try to ping IP address and FQDN of the SBS server and confirm that if it is accessible. 

Besides, please open the sharing folder’s properties, please check below configuration:
    1. Select to Sharing tab, make sure that sharing function has been enabled.
    2. Select to Security tab, make sure there is no Deny permission which is conflict with the sharing user/group.
    3. Click Advanced to open Advanced Security settings for this folder.
    4. Click to select the user/group which you give them the sharing access permission. And click Edit and try to give them Full control permission. 
    5. If possible, change the Owner to be the domain admin or sharing user/group.

Save the change and check the result. 

Note:
    As SBS 2003 is previous OS version and I do not have such test VM, above steps may be different from yours, if there is any concerns, please feel free to let us know. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2020 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, May 1, 2020 2:18 AM