none
Pre-populated actual hours in PWA (project online) timesheet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm getting feedback from resources that when they go into their timesheet, time is already showing for them that they did not report on.  These are hours that are displayed under actual time and are usually in minimal/odd increments (like .0375) that a resource would not add.  They then have to go through and delete all this pre-populated actual time before they can enter the time they really did work.

Is there a way that I can ensure that this doesn't happen?

Regards, Kerry

Kerry Soltysinski

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sounds like tasks might be being progressed directly in the project schedule? If that is not supposed to happen by PMs, you can lock updates to the schedule to Tasks / Timesheets in PWA if needed.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by Kerrsol Monday, October 16, 2017 1:19 PM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Like Paul said, I'd suggest going into PWA settings, Task Settings and Display, and then check "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" to prevent a PM from making a change that causes "actual hours" to be applied to a task. I think, though, that you'd zero out remaining work on a task if you marked it 100% complete, and that'd cause the task to now show up on timesheets.

You could separate the tasks you make assignments to from the tasks that represent your WBS. While not grand, that's what we do here.

Task 1 : Project work, (assignments and work get filled out here)

Task 2 : WBS (with all manner of sub tasks to represent the things actually going on in the project).

We use two custom fields to assist called "Resources_NonTimeLogging" (plain text) and "Work_NonTimeLogging" (#, rolls up). Ideally there'd be a picker for the resources field, but that's not a current feature.

Ian

Friday, October 13, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sounds like tasks might be being progressed directly in the project schedule? If that is not supposed to happen by PMs, you can lock updates to the schedule to Tasks / Timesheets in PWA if needed.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hello,

You are correct in that task progress is updated in the project schedules.  In our team, we only use 100% to mark complete (so values are either 0% or 100%).  Our schedules get used for external client review too, so we want to show clients what is done. 

I am inferring a bit here, but does this mean that if a task is marked 100% complete, in the project schedule, that the hours associated with that task will be distributed as actual hours for the open days in the time sheet? 

We use a 4-week timesheet view, so resources have to go in and zero out all the pre-populated hours, so it is a lot to ask of them.  And because we use the schedules to review progress with external clients, we do want to continue to mark tasks 100% complete. 

If this is the case, is there anyway to prevent it from happening?

Kerry Soltysinski

Friday, October 13, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Like Paul said, I'd suggest going into PWA settings, Task Settings and Display, and then check "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" to prevent a PM from making a change that causes "actual hours" to be applied to a task. I think, though, that you'd zero out remaining work on a task if you marked it 100% complete, and that'd cause the task to now show up on timesheets.

You could separate the tasks you make assignments to from the tasks that represent your WBS. While not grand, that's what we do here.

Task 1 : Project work, (assignments and work get filled out here)

Task 2 : WBS (with all manner of sub tasks to represent the things actually going on in the project).

We use two custom fields to assist called "Resources_NonTimeLogging" (plain text) and "Work_NonTimeLogging" (#, rolls up). Ideally there'd be a picker for the resources field, but that's not a current feature.

Ian

Friday, October 13, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Thank you both so much for helping me to understand what is going on. 

Kerry Soltysinski

Monday, October 16, 2017 1:19 PM
  • This may be a stupid question, but I am curious...does linking the project schedule to a SharePoint site (or creating a SharePoint site for the project) have anything to do with changes in PWA causing changes in MS Project (or vice versa)? 

In essence, I want all activity in PWA not to impact all activity in the project schedule (whether it be % complete, hours, etc.).  I want to track time, but do not want to manage that time in the project schedule (just how we are structured here).  So, I was thinking maybe if I deactivate the connected SharePoint site that maybe that would help (we don't use that site anyway).  But then again, that is SharePoint, and not PWA, but it is linking the two??  Not sure? 

Any suggestions?

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Assigning an Enterprise Resource to tasks in an MS project file that resides within PWA is what causes the link to two functions, that I know of, within PWA... One: Timesheets; Two: Tasks (Task Status Updates / Status Reports).

FWIW, we hid the "Status Reports" link from the quick launch and enabled Single Entry Mode to aim for hiding every possibility of a team member updating anything other than their timesheet (though I think the newer "feature" of mobile entry made it more difficult to hide the task pages).

To accomplish what you want, I think you need to give up time reporting.

Ian

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:10 PM
  • LOL. We want to get the actual time, but we don't want it to change the schedule. Oh well...

Thank you!

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Do you care about task level hours, or just project totals? I haven't looked into what this does yet, but maybe it offers something of use? On "Timesheet Settings and Defaults", "Allow top-level time reporting". I wonder if that breaks the connection to the tasks / project completion stats.

Ian

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:19 PM
  • We actually don't use the hours in the project schedule for anything but setting the baseline (so I can do variance reporting against the actuals entered into PWA), so I'll look into that.  I was just thinking...I want the Project and PWA to be together, but I don't want them to talk to each other :).

Thank you!

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Hello,

I was recently looking for a solution to the same problem.

I found another solution which might be helpful and should not require workarounds. The only drawback is that this setting must be set for each individual mpp-file.

1. In MS Project go to File > Options > Schedule
    2. Scroll down to "Calculation options for this project"
    3. Uncheck "Updating task status updates resource status"

This should prevent any updates to actuals when the PM updates the task status and vice versa.

Regards, Alex

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:34 PM