Is there a fix to the IE10 issue on Windows 7 (sharepoint 2010, your client does not support opening this list with windows explorer)? RRS feed

• General discussion

• On a computer that's running Windows 7 (x64 in my case) with Internet Explorer 10, when you click "Open with Explorer" in Microsoft SharePoint 2010, you receive the following error message:  "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer."

The website in question has been added to the IE10 Trusted Sites list. 

The server is configured properly in that this functionality works in IE9 and below on Windows 7 and for IE10 on Windows 8.  (I've not yet applied the June 2013 cumulative update for SharePoint, however.  But I'd really like to see an IE10 patch in that we need to access document libraries in other SharePoint 2010 servers that we do not manage.)

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2835527/en-us this is also a known problem for SharePoint Online and per that KB article, "Microsoft is working to resolve the issue."  However, that KB article was published a number of months ago.

Has this issue been resolved?  If not, is there a hotfix that can be applied to IE10 pending a service pack release?  And, what is the timeline for the fix?

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:17 PM

All replies

• Has this issue been resolved?  If not, is there a hotfix that can be applied to IE10 pending a service pack release?

How do we know that the fix is going to be applied to IE?  Sounds more like a problem with parsing User-Agent string values.  E.g. some program looking at  MSIE 10  and doing a string compare with  MSIE 6, which of course would be (incorrectly) less .   Unfortunately none of the analysis for this "known issue" is presented in that article so that means you would need to do it all over again yourself, e.g. using ProcMon, to see if there is a workaround.  I would not regard uninstalling IE10 just to "fix" such a symptom an acceptable workaround.   Have you tried doing a User-Agent spoof?  E.g. using the Developer Tools, Change User Agent String tool if necessary (F12, Alt-T s).   And if really necessary you could try hacking whatever other signs there are in the registry that would make a program think that  MSIE 1  was the current browser level.  Again, use ProcMon to figure out what is going on.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 14, 2013 5:58 PM
    Answerer
  • You are, of course, correct and I spoke imprecisely--i.e., the Microsoft patch may be something more than a fix applied to IE 10 for Windows 7.

Fyi, given that the SharePoint pages are tagged <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />, I tried changing the browser mode and the user agent string to see if I could understand the issue more fully ... it didn't help.  I've not tried anything more sophisticated in that the KB article suggested that it was a known issue and Microsoft was working on it.

Thanks for your response.

Friday, June 14, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Checking to see whether anyone at Microsoft can provide an update on the status of work on this known (i.e., "Microsoft is working to resolve the issue") problem?

• Edited by gmj2 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:30 PM To highlight (bold) question
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:28 PM
  • This is a pain! It is still an issue and Windows Update is still automatically upgrading IE9 to IE10. It is causing havoc.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 7:56 AM
  • The issue has been fixed in the following KB 2846960.

Hope this helps. :)

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Thanks ... KB 2846960 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2846960) addresses IE10 "Open with Explorer" issue, as well as one related to network drive mappings. 

It also provides more information about the underlying issue:

• These issues only occur when the SharePoint server is configured for cookie-based authentication, such as SharePoint Online.
    • You may encounter a similar issue when you use other Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) servers that are configured for cookie-based authentication.

Thanks again ...

• Edited by gmj2 Monday, July 22, 2013 8:12 PM typo
    Monday, July 22, 2013 8:12 PM