none
No space used by DPM shadow copy volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please help me to understand more DPM shadow copies.

1.        Actually when exactly the shadow copies are getting created? Whether it is during synchronization backup or express full back up or both?
    2.         Please see the below snap. It is disk utilization report of one week for exchange backup. I have configured protection group as every 30 min synchronization backup & every day express full backup for 2 days of retention range.

So here I want to understand that why there is no any space used for shadow copies though my both backups (synchronization & express full) are running successful.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are using DPM 2012 R2, this is a known issue that will be fixed in the next update. As an alternate, run "vssadmin list shadowstorage" from administrative command prompt.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:36 AM
  • Thanks Mike for confirmation. How do I come to know about next update? 

Like this report is there any know issue for storage pool summary report as well? Since as I am running disk utilization report for time period of 2-23-2014 to 3-2-2014 but report is showing only summary of 1-3-2014 day. Please see below snap.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Whether any fixed is release for this issue?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:55 AM
  • DPM 2012 R2 UR2 when released should include the fix for shadow copy used space issue. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Thanks Mike for update.

Also would like to know why DPM not provide the disk utilization report for each day.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:06 AM