none
SBS2011 -- Outlook cannot edit notes field

Question

• We have an SBS2011 with Exchange configured to be used primarily to share company contacts and calendar.  Up until last week, Admin users could open a Contact and be able to edit/add comments in the 'notes' field.   That ability is no longer available.   Clicking inside the 'notes' field .... nothing happens, not even a flashing cursor.    Rights haven't changed and looking at the permission on the public folder.... all looks well.    Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:19 PM

Answers

• A very knowledgeable member (WoppitJr) was experiencing the same issues.  Below is his post in another forum....

After doing some research it appears to be client sided and NOT server sided, the issue lies in office versions 2013 + 2016 as far as we have tested with the latest "January security update" which updates 2013 to version 15.0.5101.1002.

Users with this update are unable to edit the "Notes" field, on shared contacts in "Public Folders" which was supposedly fixed in this update as a patch to another issue where public folder objects would open in protected view.

Only solution for now is to rollback office to a previous version until Microsoft release a fix for this issue.

We are also investigating OWA to see if this works as an alternative until then.

......  figured I'd post this here and close the thread.   Wishing you all a fantastic week!

Regards,

Micheline

• Marked as answer by mlp04279 Monday, January 28, 2019 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 3:32 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this in the SBS Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, January 17, 2019 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

From the description, it is a public contacts folder and users with edit permissions cannot edit the Notes field of any contact in the folder, correct?

>>Up until last week, Admin users could open a Contact and be able to edit/add comments in the 'notes' field.

Any changes you made to your environment during this week before this issue happened? Such as installing updates?

Can you edit other fields of a contact in your Outlook, such as the display name? Can you edit the notes of a public contact in OWA?

Besides, you may try removing users' permissions to the public folder and then add it back again to see whether it helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Thanks Ed!
    Friday, January 18, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, that is correct.  Users (admin) have the appropriate permissions but cannot edit the 'notes' field on any contact in the Public folder.

Yes, four Windows updates where done on 1/11/19 automatically

2019-01 Security Only Update for .NET Framework (KB4481481)
    2019-01 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework (KB4481480)
    2019-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4480970)
    2019-01 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4480960)

All updates were installed successfully.

Modification of all other fields in the contact window is possible.   Doesn't appear to be any other field blocked/locked other than the 'notes' field.   

I changed permissions on one of our employees to be 'publishing editor'.  Logged in as her.... nope, still can't edit the 'notes' field.   Changed her permissions to 'owner' just for fun..... logged out/in and still... :(   not working.

• Edited by mlp04279 Friday, January 18, 2019 2:59 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Morning Ed,

I did as suggested and posted this to the SBS forum.    No response as of yet.  :(    There must be an Exchange guru out there that's seen this behaviour before.   :)    Figures... it would present itself at my office.   :)    Wishing you a wonderfully productive day!

Monday, January 21, 2019 2:41 PM
  •  Do local contacts have the issue as well or just public folder contacts?

Our fully patched SBS2011 works fine wrt to editing the notes field in public folder contacts so I suspect the issue is on your Outlook client. 

-- Al

Monday, January 21, 2019 7:40 PM
  • It appears that just the public folder contacts have the issue.   I created a new contact (which auto saved to my local contacts folder on my desktop).  I then moved the new contact to the public folder, and I was able to edit the 'notes' field.  

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:23 PM
  • A very knowledgeable member (WoppitJr) was experiencing the same issues.  Below is his post in another forum....

After doing some research it appears to be client sided and NOT server sided, the issue lies in office versions 2013 + 2016 as far as we have tested with the latest "January security update" which updates 2013 to version 15.0.5101.1002.

Users with this update are unable to edit the "Notes" field, on shared contacts in "Public Folders" which was supposedly fixed in this update as a patch to another issue where public folder objects would open in protected view.

Only solution for now is to rollback office to a previous version until Microsoft release a fix for this issue.

We are also investigating OWA to see if this works as an alternative until then.

......  figured I'd post this here and close the thread.   Wishing you all a fantastic week!

Regards,

Micheline

• Marked as answer by mlp04279 Monday, January 28, 2019 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2019 3:32 PM