none
DPM 2010 backing up migrated 2008 r2 guests on 2012 r2 host RRS feed

• Question

• So here is the information, but please ask anything that you need to know.

Previous Architecture

DPM SERVER (PHYSICAL SERVER): 

• DPM 2010 

Hyper-V (PHYSICAL SERVER):

• VM'S: SERVER 2008 R2

New Architecture

DPM SERVER (PHYSICAL SERVER):

• DPM 2010

Hyper-V (PHYSICAL SERVER):

• VM'S: SERVER 2008 R2

PROCESS:

• Shutdown all VM's
    • Moved to shared storage
    • Loaded existing Hyper-V server with Server 2012 R2
    • Moved VM's back
    • Started up
    • Upgraded Integration tools

Utilizing DPM, configured Protection Group for VM's and connected to host. These backups were running great for a couple years.

Since moving over, the backups of Exchange, etc on the VM's are still working great, but the VM's themselves through the new host fail immediately. I can attempt to Perform a consistency check, but it fails immediately.

The error that I have gotten on each is:

ID:3106 All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check.

Followed by:

ID:104 An unexpected error occurred while the job was running.

On the Hyper-V host I  only see (which is only showing for the Exchange server):

The Data Exchange integration service is either not enabled, not running or not initialized. However, the service is running. Although it is running.

• Edited by chrissnap Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:47 PM Adding
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Simple answer is that DPM 2010 does not support protecting Windows 2012 R2 servers, you must upgrade DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 R2 or install a dedicated DPM 2012 R2 server to protect the Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Simple answer is that DPM 2010 does not support protecting Windows 2012 R2 servers, you must upgrade DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 R2 or install a dedicated DPM 2012 R2 server to protect the Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:57 PM
  • I was reading through the support matrix, which I had a little trouble following. But It looked like in one part it would and another it wouldn't.

Thanks for the help.

Friday, April 24, 2015 3:14 PM