Multiple 12292 and 10 errors at beginning of 3rd party backup RRS feed

• Question

• My server running Server 2003 R2 has been reporting multiple 12292 and 10 VSS errors when the UniTrends agent calls to the Shadow Volume Provider for a VSS Snapshot. The server has the latest updates including SP2.

Thus far I have:

• Checked vss writers using the vssadmin list writers command : All writers were stable with no errors
    • Checked providers using the vssadmin list providers command: Only the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider appears
    • Tried to access C:\ properties > Shadow Copies but the window froze. I rebooted the server and was able to access it.
    • Verified that the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\swprv  parameter wasn't missing
    • Also reregistered the vss dlls using the following command: 
    • cd /d %windir%\system32
    • net stop vss
      net stop swprv
      regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
      regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
      regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
      vssvc /register
      regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
      regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
      regsvr32 /s es.dll
      regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
      regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
      regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
      regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
      regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll
      vssvc /register
      net start swprv
      net start 
      vss

Here is a copy of the events:

Event Type:         Error

Event Source:     VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID:              12292

Date:                    10/17/2015

Time:                    12:11:08 AM

User:                    N/A

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80080005].

Event Type:         Error

Event Source:     VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID:              10

Date:                    10/17/2015

Time:                    12:11:08 AM

User:                    N/A

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} and name SW_PROV cannot be started. Most likely the CPU is under heavy load. [0x80080005]

Do you recommend any other additional steps to diagnose and resolve the root issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

• Edited by EMFCo Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:48 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 4:25 PM

Answers

• After reregistering the dlls for the vss service I was able to complete multiple types of backups using the UniTrends backup agent with no errors.
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:39 PM

All replies

• After reregistering the dlls for the vss service I was able to complete multiple types of backups using the UniTrends backup agent with no errors.
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Thank you for updating with the result!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 19, 2015 9:22 AM