none
Configure active directory to Sharepoint site in different network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Currently we have a plan to install Sharepoint 2010.

1. We already have active directory in our internal network.

2. Sharepoint 2010 will be installed in a cloud server.

My question in how I could connect Sharepoint server to active directory in our internal network?

Thank you.

Regards,

Well J

• Edited by Well J Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:10 PM

Answers

• What type of a cloud solution are you hosting SharePoint through? In most cases the hosting provider you choose for SharePoint is going to have a direct impact on the options you'll have available for connecting a local AD domain to a cloud server.

In the case of Microsoft's SharePoint Online solution, there are a couple of different options available: directory synchronization where accounts are copied to the cloud, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) where the cloud environment is configured to trust accounts from your AD, a solution blending those options, and one or two other possibilities.

Other vendors may provide similar solutions (I'd say that an ADFS implementation is the most likely option), but its going to depend on the vendor so you may have to directly ask them how to make it work.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by Well J Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• Generally, this what is followed in most scenarios

->SharePoint is deployed in cloud and connected to the local AD in the cloud.

-> You establishing one way trust between your AD & AD in cloud.

In this way all of your users will be recognized by the SharePoint in the cloud and your AD will not recognized any accounts from Cloud AD.

Other answers is also most welcome.

Satheesh
    http://spsatheesh.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:57 PM
  • What type of a cloud solution are you hosting SharePoint through? In most cases the hosting provider you choose for SharePoint is going to have a direct impact on the options you'll have available for connecting a local AD domain to a cloud server.

In the case of Microsoft's SharePoint Online solution, there are a couple of different options available: directory synchronization where accounts are copied to the cloud, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) where the cloud environment is configured to trust accounts from your AD, a solution blending those options, and one or two other possibilities.

Other vendors may provide similar solutions (I'd say that an ADFS implementation is the most likely option), but its going to depend on the vendor so you may have to directly ask them how to make it work.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by Well J Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Thanks guys for your reply. These are really helpful.

We chose cloud server because our internal active directory is located in a remote area with limited bandwidth. So we decided to install SharePoint to a cloud server to give more accessibility to users, and still connect to our internal Active directory.

• Edited by Well J Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:54 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:51 AM