RPC Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have posted in another forum, but I feel this is getting to be a general problem with my Windows. I am running Server 2008 R2 X64 with 16 GB of memory, and Exchange 2010. I need to install CGI due to neededing to run PHP. When I went to server manager, both Roles and Features gave me an error saying that an RPC call failed. I have also tried installing CGI using command line and PowerShell, but I just get an error saying that the Remote Proceedure Call failed.

I have made sure every update is installed, except one that will not install. It is KB978637. When I ran Server Update Readiness Tool, this is the only thing it complained about was that it did not install. How do I manually remove the update, and hopefully be able to correctly install it again?

By what I have read if any update is not working, then the Roles and Features pages of Server Manager will not work either.

When I look in my Event Viewer, I get this as one of the error messages:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{24FF4FDC-1D9F-4195-8C79-0DA39248FF48}

and APPID

{B292921D-AF50-400C-9B75-0C57A7F29BA1}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I hope that I can find an answer to this soon before I pull the rest of my hair out and become bald (sorry bad joke)

Thanks, Terrill

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

• Yes, that's what I was asking. If that's the only system event log error then guess what? You should probably post the event log error and this application name discovery you made from registry search in;

Network Access Protection
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverNAP/threads/

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:40 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 10:36 PM

All replies

• You can search the registry for the CLSID to find the application name and then Start|Run|dcomcnfg.exe, drill down to app and adjust permissions accordingly.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:42 PM
  • So what do I need to drill down to to adjust permissions?

Sorry about posting in more than one area, but when other people tell me to post in other groups/areas, as well as when I find out more information as to what the underlying problem really is, as this has been turning out to be, I second guess on which forum would be the best to 1 get my question answered and 2 where someone else that can read the results and help them as well.

Thanks

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Did you find the application name from registry?

Start|Run|regedit.exe then Edit|Find and paste in the CLSID

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Dave,

Several things come up for the Appid, but they don't make sense to me, as in they are not actual applications. One that comes up is for {B292921D-AF50-400C-9B75-0C57A7F29BA1} is "napagent" and "Nap Certificate Relying Party class" and "Quarantine Private QA Management class". I did a search on both the classid as well as the appid. That is what you meant for me to do, right? I went to dcomcnfg.exe, and drilled down to computers, my computer, DCOM config, NAP Agent Service, but when I right click on properties, it does not allow me to change anything.

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Yes, that's what I was asking. If that's the only system event log error then guess what? You should probably post the event log error and this application name discovery you made from registry search in;

Network Access Protection
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverNAP/threads/

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:40 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Thanks
    Monday, April 19, 2010 11:07 PM
  • You're welcome.

Monday, April 19, 2010 11:13 PM