Vista Ultimate Upgrade Breaking ASP.NET, FTP, Limit to Number o times Upgrade runs? RRS feed

• Question

• According to vista's own diagnostics and my own experiences trying to install WPI2, errors are occurring in the upgrade process that are causing disruptions in the flow from the ASP.Net  installed on the Home Premium edition and the updates necessary to install the Ultimate Disk. I can't even get Dot Net Nuke to install on the wpi selectons....none of these programs install on the launcher. I was informed of the discrepancies by Vista itself. It also identified ftp as another affected program. 4 programs have informed me that FTP7 was required for them to install. I've been having so many problems after clean full reinstalls that I installed MBSA2.1 to see if there was anything wrong with the updates. It showed a number of updates did not fully install and a number required reboots which did not happen during the marathon updating that goes on when you reinstall. I tried downloading one of the missing updates and installing it, but it messed up my installation. I guess if you install a missing early update you run the risk of overwriting a newer version of a dll, or something. So I put my update disk back in the drive and rebooted. My plan was to select the option to wipe the disk clean and put in a full installation. It told me I had to put the original disk back on, which surprised me. I tried it again and it told me my update could not be validated. Now I am scared to even put the original disk back on because I may have passed some unknown limit on how many times I can install either disk. I did reinstall Home Premium a couple of months ago, and I took the option to wipe it clean and put in the full reinstallation from the Update. It was by far the best installation I've had. All of the software that won't work with this installation did. I want to do this again as I bought Vista Ultimate to do more than browse ,chat, and email. Can you give me some guidance on the limits of reinstallation? I'd appreciate it if one of the Forum Pros could help me.
    TIA<
    Teachable
    usually
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

May I know which copy of Windows Vista Ultimate you purchased, a full-install copy or an upgrade one? If you have a full-install copy, you can just perform a clean install with it. For more information, please also refer to:

Upgrade to another edition of Windows Vista

Regarding the limit number, as I just know there are limits of activation, please note the question “How many times can I install Windows on my computer before I have to activate Windows again?” in the following article:

Windows Vista Activation FAQ

If you perform a system reinstall on the same computer, you may not need to reactive Windows, unless a significant hardware change is made.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

May I know which copy of Windows Vista Ultimate you purchased, a full-install copy or an upgrade one? If you have a full-install copy, you can just perform a clean install with it. For more information, please also refer to:

Upgrade to another edition of Windows Vista

Regarding the limit number, as I just know there are limits of activation, please note the question “How many times can I install Windows on my computer before I have to activate Windows again?” in the following article:

Windows Vista Activation FAQ

If you perform a system reinstall on the same computer, you may not need to reactive Windows, unless a significant hardware change is made.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to see how everything is going. If you have any questions or concerns on the recent information I've provided you, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks. Have a good day!

Nicholas Li

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:29 AM
  • @nd problem appears a week after I resolved the first issue. Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you....I try to have Microsoft mail shunt into a special folder but this one didn't shunt. I purchased the Windows Anytime Upgrade Pack from Home Premium to Ultimate. I think I found a workaround for the problem, if it wasn't just a fluke caused by the update problems I reported finding with MBSA. I backed up my files and then went through the Home Premium reinstall and updating. When I got to the Ultimate upgrade I selected the 2nd option, which wipes your disk clean and performs a full reinstall throu Ultimate SP2 without the Home Premium break in the middle. Everything seems to be working as solid as I'd hoped and the MBSA check didn't show the missed or partial updates. But suddenly I'm getting a Windows didn't activate message. This is a full week after it said it did activate. WHY? It runs like a charm and now it's gonna waste all the time I put into working on the redownloading everything??
    Howard Dobel
    usually
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:14 PM