Computer won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I turned the computer on and the fan started running fast but Windows doesn't start at all. It's all black.

Computer doesn't respond to any command but the power button.

This is a Dell Studio with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Please, help

Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the Windows fails to start, check whether you can still boot in BIOS. If the screen is all black and there is no method to boot in BIOS, I suspect it is a hardware issue. Please check the wire of the monitor or change another monitor for a test. If the issue persists, you need to contact Dell to examine the hardware issue.

If you can boot in BIOS, please keep pressing F8 when starting the computer to boot in advanced startup option. In there, select Repair Your Computer and then choose Startup Repair.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 14, 2011 12:41 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the Windows fails to start, check whether you can still boot in BIOS. If the screen is all black and there is no method to boot in BIOS, I suspect it is a hardware issue. Please check the wire of the monitor or change another monitor for a test. If the issue persists, you need to contact Dell to examine the hardware issue.

If you can boot in BIOS, please keep pressing F8 when starting the computer to boot in advanced startup option. In there, select Repair Your Computer and then choose Startup Repair.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 14, 2011 12:41 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Would your fix work for Windows Vista? I can get to the black screen with the F8 & pick one of the choices in there but none will make it start. Can you help/

Thanks, TP

• Edited by TopCat 1 Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:21 PM