Lost audio on call - how is that logged? RRS feed

• Question

• Lync 2010 Enterprise, Polycom CX600 phone, Dialogic DMG2000 gateway to PSTN.

User calls out to PSTN.  Talks for about 4 minutes.  They both lose audio, although call looks to still be connected.  After about a minute of dead-air, the rser hangs-up, calls person back, everything is fine.

It appears that there was a loss of a media connection on one of the legs.

My question is how to identify that using the Lync Monitoring Server Reports?

Will a loss of media show up in a Session Detail Report?  Looking at mine for this call, I see nothing that indicates a loss of media connection.  What am I looking for to troubleshoot this?  At this point, I am just trying to verify, via reports, the user experience of lost media.

Friday, January 6, 2012 8:11 PM

All replies

• Not sure this can help, but a bit similar case was having multiple NIC's on the mediation server - All registered to DNS.

Mediation Server has to has one record only on DNS pointing to the right NIC.

Best Regards,
    Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:08 PM
  • My Mediation servers only has one NIC.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi,John,

Would you please verify the media bypass and refer support on your Mediation Server and Gateway?If they are enabled please try to disable them then reboot your mediation server to see if it works.

Additionally,I heard the session timer maybe cause the problem that is unable to hear PSTN audio,you can try to disable it on DMG Gateway .

Regarding troubleshooting,you can enable Lync logging tool on your Lync server and select S4,SipStack and Mediation server,reproduce the issue and use Snooper to analyze the SIP log to get more specific information,you also can do a wireshark trace on your mediation server to get more information about this issue.

And here is a great article on troubleshooting Lync and Dialogic for your reference.

Hope these useful!

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the link to Dialogic.  Reading that post, he found warnings and errors on both the gateway and in Lync to indicate problems.  Also, he only experienced it on transfers.

My calls that are having problems do not involve transfers, and log no warnings are errors that I can find.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Hi,John,

What'a about you disable meida bypass and refer support?

Have you used wireshark or Lync logging tool to trace the log?

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:38 AM
  • I could disable media bypass and refer support, but that is not the point of this topic.

I could use wireshark and Lync logging, except I don't know what to look for.

If Lync does not log an error when this happens, and so far I can not find one, what am I looking for?

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:47 PM
  • If the drop in audio is really due to packet loss, you should see something to indicate that in the session detail report under Media Quality Report section. The Max. Packet Loss Rate should be high if it is a loss of the packet stream.

Wireshark could let you see in real-time when the packet stream stops. The trick is you have to capture at the right place. If the problem still occurs when one of the endpoints is a Lync software client on a PC instead of a CX600, you could run Wireshark on the same PC and watch for the audio packet stream to end.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I am trying use wireshark & netmon to capture the RTP packets and identify the problem, but neither work well when run long-term, and I can not reproduced the problem - I have to monitor and wait weeks or months for it to be reported.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:23 PM
  • "The Max. Packet Loss Rate should be high if it is a loss of the packet stream."

In the case of one call, the user reported loss of audio after about 10 minutes.  The Media Report showed Packet Loss of 3.5%, which for a 10 minute call, is 30 seconds.  But there is no Burst duration reported, so I don't know if that loss was spread throughout the call, or all at the end.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:50 PM