confused about deployment RRS feed

• Question

•  

when i create a policy in FCS, will that actually install Forefront client on client systems in the OU, or just get updates to those clients that have Forefront on them already?

My reading implies the first, but when i tried it, the second seems to be true.  Could it have to do with forefront approvals in wsus?

thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:53 PM

Answers

•  

The second is true. The FCS policy only controls settings, not deployment. It is a bit misleading because it says "deploy," but all that's really doing is publishing the settings to a GPO in Active Directory.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:22 PM

All replies

•  

The second is true. The FCS policy only controls settings, not deployment. It is a bit misleading because it says "deploy," but all that's really doing is publishing the settings to a GPO in Active Directory.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:22 PM
  • excellent.  Then to follow up, just to make sure i have everything.

1. if i run clietsetup.exe on a machine with no paramenters, will it then get all its settings from the GPO?

2. which msi file is equivalent to running ClientSetup.exe with no parameters - i want to deploy the client via SCE (system center essentials).

thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:19 PM
  • When your client machine receives a policy, it will also cause the MOM Management Group information to be populated in the registry on the client which can then be used to deploy the FCS client via WSUS.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:20 PM
  • on my FCS server, i notice it has not located any of my fcs clients.  I looked in the GP created by FCS, and it doesn't mention the FCS server anywhere.  Did i miss something.

BTW, the gpo FCS created is at the domain level, so it should apply to all machines that have the client installed.

thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:15 PM