DNS on Edge Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching on this, and have not been able to figure out the definitive answer.  From a security standpoint, it makes sense the that the Edge Server not use the internal DNS.  

I do not have a DNS server in the DMZ (may look into it).  What entries should I have in the HOSTS file for it to work properly?  Right now I just have the Skype Front End server, and nothing else.  Was not sure if I need the internal SRV records, etc.

Monday, April 23, 2018 11:10 PM

All replies

• I should advise what when I use the internal DNS - MS connectivity tool cannot get past the SSL authentication step on 5061.  When I remove my internal DNS server and just have the HOSTS file pointing to the FE - I can get almost all the way through the Test.

Fails at this step -> 

Testing remote connectivity to Microsoft Lync server through the Lync Access Edge server on port 5061 to verify

user can connect remotely.

So I think I have a DNS issues as well.

Specified remote connectivity test(s) to Microsoft Lync server failed. See details below for specific failure reasons.
       <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl03_tmmArrow" style="border-bottom-style:none;border-collapse:collapse;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top-style:none;font-size:13.33px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-margin-right:0px;margin-padding-bottom:0px;padding-padding-right:0px;padding-table-layout:auto;width:auto;">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>

Additional Details

Couldn't sign in. Error: Error Message: Unable to establish a connection..
    Error Type: ConnectionFailureException.
    Elapsed Time: 2534 ms. 
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:05 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

An internal DNS A record that resolves the internal FQDN of the Access Edge Server to its internal IP address. You can refer to the link below about “Configure DNS Records for Your Edge Servers”, it’s same to SFB server 2015

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb870389(v=office.12).aspx

Another document about “DNS requirements for Edge Servers and features in Lync Server 2013”

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721912(v=ocs.15).aspx

Hope the information in the blog is helpful to you.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:22 AM