Windows 2008 Scheduled Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to schedule a task (Robocopy) to run every hour with a domain admin account specific for running scheduled tasks.  Works just fine with Windows 2003, however after I've added the account by browsing the domain for it (yes it shows up domain\useraccount) it says "An error has occured for task "task name".  Error Message: The specified account name is not valid. 

That's it, no other explanation.

Anyone else having this problem?  Windows 2003 was quite simple however the scheduled task area got a major overahul.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi customer,

I can also reproduce the issue on my side. Based on the research, this is a known issue that exists in Task Scheduler on both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista.

Please refer to the following KB 953153 to request the hotfix and apply it on the problematic computer.

Error message when you change the running user context of a scheduled task to another domain account on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008: "The specified account name is not valid"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953153

Hope it is also helpful to you.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by David Shen Monday, December 22, 2008 5:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, December 22, 2008 6:18 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Hi customer,

Thanks for your reply. I deeply understand your concern.

For your convenience, I have test and applied the hotfix (KB953153) on both Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 box on my side, and confirm with you that it can fix the issue on both of the systems.

Please let me know if it can also fix the task scheduler issue on your machine.

Thanks for the co-operation.

David Shen - MSFT
    Friday, December 19, 2008 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi customer,

I can also reproduce the issue on my side. Based on the research, this is a known issue that exists in Task Scheduler on both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista.

Please refer to the following KB 953153 to request the hotfix and apply it on the problematic computer.

Error message when you change the running user context of a scheduled task to another domain account on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008: "The specified account name is not valid"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953153

Hope it is also helpful to you.

David Shen - MSFT
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Can you confirm this "Vista" update will work on 2008?  When I click to download it all I see is the Windows Vista version of this hot fix.  However the KB953153 says it's for Vista and 2008. 

Just need to confirm before moving forward

Thanks

Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi customer,

Thanks for your reply. I deeply understand your concern.

For your convenience, I have test and applied the hotfix (KB953153) on both Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 box on my side, and confirm with you that it can fix the issue on both of the systems.

Please let me know if it can also fix the task scheduler issue on your machine.

Thanks for the co-operation.

David Shen - MSFT
    Friday, December 19, 2008 2:20 AM
  • This worked like a charm.  Thanks very much!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 6:01 PM