Creating a Device Collection by IP Addresses RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to build a Device Collection with a specific list of IP Addresses that don't fall neatly in a subnet or range. In other words, I have to input them manually. Is there any easy way to bulk load addresses into a Device Collection in this manner? If I have to build this manually it is going to take me an awfully long time.

The Create Direct Membership Rule Wizard has an attribute name titled "IP Addresses". I would assume this would accept a comma separate list but it doesn't seem to be the case.

• Edited by SecOpsGuy Friday, October 16, 2015 5:09 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 5:08 PM

Answers

• Are all of these servers domain joined? Could you perhaps group them by an Active Directory "testing" group that you create? It's a lot easier to query for an Active Directory group, than what you're asking. If not, I'd look at some script that would import your servers into your collection.

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @NickolajA

• Marked as answer by SecOpsGuy Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:27 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Just use the device's Name instead of it's IP address if it is an arbitrary list of servers.

select *  from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.Name in ("ServerTest1","ServerTest2", "ServerTest3")

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:17 PM

All replies

• What do you want to do with that collection then? Or: what's the reason for creating such a collection?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:44 PM
  • I have a number of servers that I am testing the SCCM client on. The only logical way I can think to group them is via IP Address. There will also be a logical grouping based on OS version (2003, 2008, and 2012) but this will come after I have a base collection of the entire pool I have to work with.
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Are all of these servers domain joined? Could you perhaps group them by an Active Directory "testing" group that you create? It's a lot easier to query for an Active Directory group, than what you're asking. If not, I'd look at some script that would import your servers into your collection.

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @NickolajA

Saturday, October 17, 2015 12:12 PM
  • If AD groups is not possible, you could construct a query (in a text editor/excel):
    select * from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.IPAddresses = "10.0.0.1" or SMS_R_System.IPAddresses = "10.0.0.2"
    Use this as a query rule for your collection.
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Just use the device's Name instead of it's IP address if it is an arbitrary list of servers.

select *  from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.Name in ("ServerTest1","ServerTest2", "ServerTest3")

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Gotcha... That makes sense. The only problem I have is that I, most likely, don't have access to make changes in AD. I can request control of a single OU though. We'll see.

It's that or just keep control of Device Collections within CfgMgr Console. Nash put forth a query that looks like I can work with:

I'll probably end up with Nash's solution as operations folks aren't very cooperative with me. Thanks for your input!

• Edited by SecOpsGuy Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:28 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:26 AM
  • Right. This looks like the way to go. Thanks!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:27 AM