none
DPM 2007 (w2k3 x64) - DPM 2010 (W2k8 r2) upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone successfully upgraded to DPM 2010 without rebuilding from bare metal?

Ive followed the upgrade advisor without success.

1st attempt the upgrade to 2008r2 failed as the server attempted to assign drive letters to the DPM volumes on the MSA

2nd I unplugged the MSA's before the 2008r2 upgrade but had a similar drive letter assignment issue when I plugged the MSA's back in. I also had an issue when I opened 2005 after the upgrade so I couldnt delete the database?

Anyone got any hints not mentioned by the upgrade advisor?

thanks

Phil

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

• Yes and worked flawless.
    Anyway...

Unplug MSA
    upgrade OS and excute "DISKPART automount disable" (do not use scrub)
    Plug MSA

Does that help getting further?
    Cleaning up old SQL2005 is way past ugrade when all is fine on DPM2010 (using SQL2008).

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by jerseyphil Monday, November 22, 2010 4:30 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:28 PM

All replies

• Yes and worked flawless.
    Anyway...

Unplug MSA
    upgrade OS and excute "DISKPART automount disable" (do not use scrub)
    Plug MSA

Does that help getting further?
    Cleaning up old SQL2005 is way past ugrade when all is fine on DPM2010 (using SQL2008).

• Marked as answer by jerseyphil Monday, November 22, 2010 4:30 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hello Ruud

Thank very much for the pointer!

Im not finding the process very straight forward. Im following the microsoft recommended route and have successfully upgraded to 2008r2. Im now trying to delete the SQL server 2005 database but when I open the management studio I receive the error sqlweb.exe The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. There are a number ID33 errors the app log.

Did you experience this error?

thanks

Phil

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Never had that and done many upgrades and fiddling :)

Problably due something you attempted with SQL2005 before.
    Anyway, go into control panel and select SQL2008 change --> yes not SQL2005 (should be be there anymore).
    If you still see SQL2005 in control panel then it is an unknown condition to me.

Select to uninstall SQL2008 and you will presented all instances including SQL2005 + its reporting and deinstall the SQL2005 parts.

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Thanks for avice Ruud

I think I might be a bit before that point in the upgrade process as Im yest to install DPM 2010 \ SQL 2008.

my implimentation steps (following the microsoft update advisory tool recomendations) are
    1. Backup sql
    2. uninstall DPM 2007 (keeping data)
    3. unplug MSA
    4. Upgrade 2008r2.
    5. run Diskpart automount disable (per your recommendations)
    6. Open SQL mgmt studio 05 and delete dpm07 database.

*** Im at this point SQL where throws the error. unsurprisingly SQL 2005 seems to have lost something in the 2008r2 upgrade!***

7. Install DPM 2007 with hotfixes
    8. Restore DB
    9. Upgrade to DPM 2010
    10. Roll out agents

DO you follow a similar process? Ive tried a couple of times now with the same result.
    I pop out mirrored drives to ensure I have a roll back of OS and SQL.

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:32 PM
  • No but in my time there was no upgrade advisor.
    Anyway, what I did is same but you are NOT following the upgrade advisor (or old version ???).

This is literal copy from advisor;

1. Upgrade OS on DPM server to Windows Server 2008 x64 or Windows Server 2008 R2 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637098.aspx)
    2. Install latest DPM 2007 rollup package (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970)(Optional)
    3. Close DPM administrator console and DPM management shell if opened.
    4. Launch DPM 2010 RTM Eval setup and proceed by clicking on Install DPM
    5. Complete the installation wizard and restart the computer to complete the upgrade
    6. Upgrade agents on production servers
    Note: If rollup KB976542 (version 2.0.8861.0) or later is installed, you can upgrade the agent from the DPM Administrator Console. If this rollup is not installed, you should upgrade the agents manually by running the DPMAgentInstaller.
    7. Run consistency check for all the protected Datasources
    8. Uninstall DPM 2007 SQL instance (Optional) if there are no issues after upgrade.However, if you're looking for downgrade then DPM 2007 DPMDB is required.

- Backup is always good 
    - NO UNISTALLING DPM2007 (and install later again ???)
    - MSA steps is extra for your situation and helped
    - NO DELETING DATABASES
    - NO dpm2007 install again
    - NO restore db

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:06 PM
  • You are quite right ... I checked the advisor again... I have no idea where I got those additional steps...
    embarrassing :-)

i'll try again...

Thanks
    Phil

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:26 PM