Windows 2012 Datacenter R2 - Network Connections Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently created a 2012 Datacenter install with the goal to create virtualize test lab. 

As part of the install two connections were created:

1. Labeled 'Ethernet' with Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch protocol enabled.

2 Labeled 'Network 2' vEthernet (....Controller - Virtual Switch) with the standard networking protocols enabled.

3. Network 2 interface is connected to the local area network.

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Virtual Switch):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-5F-F4-3B-11-EE
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100(Preferred) 
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I am confused with the purpose of the network connection "Ethernet" and Hyper-Virtual Switch protocol and how this relates the "network 2" interface. I uncertain which network connection is the physical connections.

I have tried to research this with "windows 2012 datacenter network connection configuration, setup, and etc.",  the results are a lot of the complex examination of setting of Hyper-V implementation, clusters, DHCP, and etc.

I hoping to locate information that will explain the fundamentals of these related technologies (tutorial, youtube videos, etc.).  Any helpful advice is welcome.

• Edited by dmn2009 Friday, October 17, 2014 8:11 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Hyper-V Extensible Switch has support for isolation policies as well as to allow extensibility and to let third parties add in filters to provide their own forwarding rules.

It includes QoS features that can be applied on virtual switch ports, and it let you manage bandwidth and provide predictable network performance to VMs running on your Windows Server 2012 Datacenter server.

It is configured to support SR-IOV (Input Output Virtualization) to enable the VM to communicate directly with the adapter hardware.

Hyper-V Extensible Switch

Introducing Hyper-V Extensible Switch

Hyper-V Extensible Switch in Windows 8

Hope this helps.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tina_Tan Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tina_Tan Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:37 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the information which you provide, you created an External virtual switch, which binds to the physical network adapter so that virtual machines can access a physical network.

->I am confused with the purpose of the network connection “Ethernet” and Hyper-Virtual Switch protocol and how this relates the “network 2” interface. I uncertain which network connection is the physical connections.

->Network 2 interface is connected to the local area network.

Based on your description, I suppose that you encountered some problems with understanding virtual network switch. When we install Hyper-V and create an external virtual network, the management operating system uses a new virtual network adapter to connect to the physical network. The network connections consist of the original network adapter and the new virtual network adapter. The original physical network adapter does not have anything bound to it. However, the virtual network adapter has all of the standard protocols and services bound to it. Here, the “vEthernet” is the new virtual network adapter, and the “Ethernet” was the original physical network adapter. Hyper-V binds the Virtual Network Service Protocol to the physical network adapter when an external virtual network is created. So the “Ethernet” has the Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch only. The physical adapter was equal to a virtual switch at this moment, all networking traffic is routed though the virtual switch.

And to the physical machine, due to the physical adapter is a virtual switch now, so the new virtual network adapter is its network adapter now. So we can see the all TCP/IP configurations of vEthernet are the same with the local area network.

For more details about virtual network switch, please refer to the link below,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581798(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Tina

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Hyper-V Extensible Switch has support for isolation policies as well as to allow extensibility and to let third parties add in filters to provide their own forwarding rules.

It includes QoS features that can be applied on virtual switch ports, and it let you manage bandwidth and provide predictable network performance to VMs running on your Windows Server 2012 Datacenter server.

It is configured to support SR-IOV (Input Output Virtualization) to enable the VM to communicate directly with the adapter hardware.

Hyper-V Extensible Switch

Introducing Hyper-V Extensible Switch

Hyper-V Extensible Switch in Windows 8

Hope this helps.

Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the information which you provide, you created an External virtual switch, which binds to the physical network adapter so that virtual machines can access a physical network.

->I am confused with the purpose of the network connection “Ethernet” and Hyper-Virtual Switch protocol and how this relates the “network 2” interface. I uncertain which network connection is the physical connections.

->Network 2 interface is connected to the local area network.

Based on your description, I suppose that you encountered some problems with understanding virtual network switch. When we install Hyper-V and create an external virtual network, the management operating system uses a new virtual network adapter to connect to the physical network. The network connections consist of the original network adapter and the new virtual network adapter. The original physical network adapter does not have anything bound to it. However, the virtual network adapter has all of the standard protocols and services bound to it. Here, the “vEthernet” is the new virtual network adapter, and the “Ethernet” was the original physical network adapter. Hyper-V binds the Virtual Network Service Protocol to the physical network adapter when an external virtual network is created. So the “Ethernet” has the Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch only. The physical adapter was equal to a virtual switch at this moment, all networking traffic is routed though the virtual switch.

And to the physical machine, due to the physical adapter is a virtual switch now, so the new virtual network adapter is its network adapter now. So we can see the all TCP/IP configurations of vEthernet are the same with the local area network.

For more details about virtual network switch, please refer to the link below,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581798(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Tina

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:32 PM