none
Display a task's 'Task Notes' in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been trying to solve this for a few days now, so I am hoping some of you will help me find a solution.

Problem: Any project team member must be able to see project tasks' "Task Notes" in PWA without being assigned to the tasks (assume permissions to the project are ok).

Some of the things I have explored/tried:

- Adding the Task's Notes in Project / Project Center Views -> Display is limited to 255 characters

- Added Notes field to a report (ODATA) but it is also limited to show only the first 255 characters

I'm open to ANY idea that might help me show the task notes in PWA.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:02 AM

All replies

• George,

Unfortunately, you have come across one of the limitations of the "Notes" fields in PWA. Have you tried creating a multiline text field and asking your PMs to use that instead of the default notes field? Then you can display that in the Odata report..

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for replying. I thought about that solution but the problem is that I would still have the limitation of 255 characters and it would limit how the team members enter notes when they are providing Task Updates. What I did, which works with short notes (less than 255 characters long) is I created a formula field that gets a copy of the Task's Notes. With OData I could report on that field but the text gets truncated at 255.

I would even settle if it was possible for anyone (not only the resources assigned to a particular task) to be able to click on the task an see the history, including all the notes from the updates. The way PWA is designed, only the team members assigned to the task can see the task details in PWA (Task Update Page), including all the notes, not even the owners of the project can access the same information in a single page like the Task Update page.

Thanks again for the reply!

George

Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hi George,

Which project table via ODATA did you pick up the NOTES field?

I did not see it on the TASK table (where I was thinking it should be).

Thanks !

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:56 PM