SCCM 2012 to 2012 R2 MDT TS Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to migrate MDT 2013 Task sequences from a test 2012 R2 environment to a live one also running 2012 R2 and the same version of MDT 2013 but is failing. All dependancies are succssful but the TS is failing with unknown error code 134217727.

The migmctrl.log has

ERROR: [worker]: Entity "Task Sequence Name" with path SMS_TaskSequencePackage.PackageID='TSID' failed with:

Error just stops there. I was under the impression that migrating MDT task sequences was possible when the same versions are on the source and destination hierarchy?

Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:26 PM

Answers

• I have yet to see an MDT-integrated Task Sequence migrate between hierarchies, regardless of whether the MDT versions are the same. I believe the only time it will actually work is if both the MDT *and* the ConfigMgr versions are the same (ex - MDT2012U1/ConfigMgr SP1 to MDT2012U1/ConfigMgr SP1).

Your best bet for migration is to create a copy of the TS in the source hierarchy, delete (not disable) all MDT-specific tasks (Gather, Validate, Use MDT Toolkit, etc.), migrate that copy to the destination hierarchy, create a new MDT Task Sequence in the destination hierarchy, and copy/paste the tasks into the appropriate locations in that new TS.

It's not ideal, but I've done it successfully multiple times.

• Proposed as answer by Peter DaalmansMVP Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, May 5, 2014 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:34 PM
  • It's officially not supported to migrate MDT task sequences; the product group did not test that. So to be in a supported sceneario: remove all MDT steps before migrating them.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:54 PM

All replies

• I have yet to see an MDT-integrated Task Sequence migrate between hierarchies, regardless of whether the MDT versions are the same. I believe the only time it will actually work is if both the MDT *and* the ConfigMgr versions are the same (ex - MDT2012U1/ConfigMgr SP1 to MDT2012U1/ConfigMgr SP1).

Your best bet for migration is to create a copy of the TS in the source hierarchy, delete (not disable) all MDT-specific tasks (Gather, Validate, Use MDT Toolkit, etc.), migrate that copy to the destination hierarchy, create a new MDT Task Sequence in the destination hierarchy, and copy/paste the tasks into the appropriate locations in that new TS.

It's not ideal, but I've done it successfully multiple times.

• Proposed as answer by Peter DaalmansMVP Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:34 PM
  • That was my understanding an that is what i have done. The Test and Live environments are identical. When they dont match you get an error about the XML being invalid. Now they do match i get this new error.

Your approach is what i have done to get the task sequences from the old 2007 to the 2012 test setup. I was hoping to avoid having to do it all over again by taking from the test to the live.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:47 PM
  • It's officially not supported to migrate MDT task sequences; the product group did not test that. So to be in a supported sceneario: remove all MDT steps before migrating them.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:54 PM