New office 365/hybrid setup mail stuck in smtp queue RRS feed

• Question

• In the process of moving to Office 365 and I'm am having a mail flow issue.  We started with an On Prem exchange 2010 server will 275 mailboxes.  I installed an Exchange 2016 server and ran the hybrid configuration wizard.  I'm doing some testing but all my smtp email gets suck in the queue of the 2016 server.  Mail from internal smtp devices go to the 2016 box but they get stuck in queue and never get delivered to the mailboxes still on the Exchange 2010 box.  We use a mail filtering service so external mail goes there first but if I push the mail from there to the 2016 box they also get stuck in the queue.  Per the microsoft deployment assistant everything should be going through the 2016 server.  For now I had to updated my mail.domain.com records back to the 2010 box to get mail working again.  Any ideas why the email is getting stuck on the 2016 box?
    Monday, November 5, 2018 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We suggest you restart the Exchange 2016 server once the installation is completed.

Then, for troubleshooting, please run the following command to check the information of the queue:

Get-Queue | fl Identity,NextHop*,Status,LastError,MessageCount

Besides, search the message tracking log of a single message:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender "<smtp address>" -Recipients "<smtp address>"-MessageSubject "<subject>" | fl

You are welcome to send the command result to ibsexc@microsoft.com and we will give you a response here once we receive your email.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 8:55 AM
  • I emailed the result to the email address as you suggested.  The error is: 

LastError        : [{LED=451 4.4.395 Target host responded with error. -> 451 5.7.3 Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication};{MSG=};{FQDN=RVBEXCH2010.RIVERVALLEYBANK.com};{IP=10.0.11.1};{LRT=11/6/2018 8:52:08

So it looks like the 2016 mail server can't authenticate and deliver the messages to the mailboxes on the 2010 server.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:42 PM
  • I also get this on the Exchange 2010 box

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Warning
    Warnings

Get-ReceiveConnector
    Completed

Warning:
    The object RV-EXCHMGMT\Default Frontend RV-EXCHMGMT has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The following validation errors happened:

Warning:
    Could not convert property TlsDomainCapabilities to type SmtpReceiveDomainCapabilities. Error while converting string 'mail.protection.outlook.com:512' to result type Microsoft.Exchange.Data.SmtpReceiveDomainCapabilities: "mail.protection.outlook.com:512" isn't a valid list of SMTP Receive domain capabilities.

OK

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

>> I also get this on the Exchange 2010 box

As per my knowledge, if we run Get-ReceiveConnector on Exchange 2016 and see no errors from EMS, we could safely ignore the warnings. 
    For your reference: Exchange 2013 Hybrid Wizard.

>> I emailed the result to the email address as you suggested.  The error is: 
    LastError        : [{LED=451 4.4.395 Target host responded with error. -> 451 5.7.3 Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication};{MSG=};{FQDN=RVBEXCH2010.RIVERVALLEYBANK.com};{IP=10.0.11.1};{LRT=11/6/2018 8:52:08

According to the information you provided, I want to confirm:

1. Did you set the Exchange 2010 server to relay the emails?

If you have a dedicated connector to relay emails, temporarily disable it for test purpose.

2. Is there a firewall between the two servers?

If so, temporarily close the firewall between the two servers.

Also, check the properties of the “Default <servername>” receive connector on Exchange 2010 server, ensure that the Exchange Server authentication is selected on the Authentication tab and Exchange servers is selected on the Permission Groups tab.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:10 AM