Separate Views of the same List RRS feed

• Question

• We have an inventory list in SharePoint.  It's called inventory, but it's really more of an asset list.  A user can come into our lab and "check out" a device, then return it when they are done.  I imagine you could think of it as a library, so I'll use that analogy, but imagine there is only 1 copy of each book.

We have our List on SharePoint of all the "books".  I have built 2 views, View1 with all of the books and all of the columns and View2 with only a few columns which should be used to enter a "check out".

These 2 views are on the same page and I need them not to be.

I need View2 to also be on it's own so the user will only see that check out view at a kiosk in our lab.  I don't want them to be able to toggle back and forth between the two as that would just be confusing.

I thought about linked Lists, but it seems like there should be an easier way.

Any help is appreciated.

Gee

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:16 PM

Answers

• I think I may have to do that.

Now I get to learn InfoPath!

yippee.

Thank you for you help!

Gee

• Marked as answer by GretaF Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Greta,

Create the view that you don't want others to see as a private view. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:27 PM
  • I don't want View1 to be private, I just need it separated from View2.

So if a user is at their own desk they see View1 with all the columns, but if they go to a kiosk in the lab, they get View2 to check out a "book".

Gee

Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Nothing?

Hello?

Anyone?

Gee

Friday, January 13, 2017 6:01 PM
  • Hi Gee- I think I answered a very similar question of yours and believe it applies here. Let me know if this is something with different requirements.

cameron rautmann

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Are you trying to get rid of the View Selector Menu at the top of the list? If so, edit the page, edit the web part and under Miscellaneous at the bottom of the web part menu, check "Disable view selector menu".
    Monday, January 16, 2017 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend you create two views in this list and named them “Desk”, “Kiosk”. Users only need to click the view they want, shown as figure below.

Based on years of my SharePoint experience, this is a simple way to achieve your requirement.

If you want to only show one view when users access inventory list, you need to achieve it via dev side. You need to write some code to create a custom solution, which may take much time and energy.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hello Cameron,

Do you have a link?

How can I find your answer?

Gee

• Edited by GretaF Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Hello Dean,

That was what I wanted to do, but "they" have decided they do not want a user to toggle back and forth, they just want the check out view with the limited fields showing.

Gee

• Edited by GretaF Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Hi Gee- just make view 1 the default view for the list. That will be for users on their computer. For the kiosk, grab the link for view 2 and use that as the link they click on. 

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Can you add a web part page and add the form/view you wanted. This way it won't show the other view.

When you are giving the link, append '?Source= URL' of the same page so that it comes back to the same location.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers and upvote them if they help. Thanks & Regards, Balu

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:02 PM
  • create separate page and add list view web part and display your view on the page 
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:09 PM
  • What do you guys think about using an InfoPath form as the opening page on the kiosk?

Users will need to enter their name, check out date and estimated return date and that will need to show up on the List.

Gee

• Edited by GretaF Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:06 PM
  • That'll do donkey, that'll do (Shrek movie reference).

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Haha for the reference, but what do you mean?

This is thing is making me crazy.

Gee

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:49 PM
  • I mean that your idea of using InfoPath will work.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:50 PM
  • I think I may have to do that.

Now I get to learn InfoPath!

yippee.

Thank you for you help!

Gee

• Marked as answer by GretaF Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Have fun- can be a steep learning curve.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:25 PM