explorer wont start and now i cant choose my OS RRS feed

• Question

• cannot boot to my old OS anymore cause ive been following someone's steps/instructions in another site...can you please see the details and steps of what i have done?

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread102213.html

to summarize the steps jbennet told me to do which i already did:

1)jbennet told me to run a sfc /scannow which i already did before he asked me to...
    when i did it the first time, it repaired my logon screen...instead of my customized logon screen, it rolled back to the default windows vista logon screen...
    after reading jbennet's reply on my thread, i ran sfc /scannow the 2nd time and this time it didnt show me a logfile saying i succesfully finished the scan instead it quit the command prompt instantly...i also was instructed to run a scan disk for errors and i did made a schedule during next bootup...after restarting my pc, the scan disk never showed instead it skipped to the bootscreen...right after the boot screen loads, everything hangs, no logon screen...just black and the monitor's power button is blinking as if the vga connector have been unplugged from the video card...i also get a BSOD sometimes...it says:

"problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen apperars again, follow these steps:

check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for friver updates. try changing video adapters.

check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

technical information

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8bb95123, 0x895379f4, 0x895376f0)"

2)this time, i cannot run in safemode...the load stops at \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys... someone even suggested running the vista startup repair included in the vista installer disc.... i've tried that also, at first, it (vista startup repair) performed a scan disk for error and it took a while to finish... unfortunately, after restart, nothing's changed... i also tried the system restore from the installation disk which i did in the first place but system restore cannot find any restore points...

3)out of curiosity, i tried copying the .sys and .mui files from my 2nd OS and overwritten the .sys and .mui files on my original OS (specifically the logon,winload,winresume etc)...
    i dont think if i improved the situation or not but since i did that, i can no longer see the BSOD when choosing my original OS...after the bootscreen loads, i get traped between the bootscreen and the logon screen...i mean, i cant see the logon screen, i only see a black screen and a mouse cursor...

4)after numbers of trials and errors, the 2nd OS now have been experiencing BSOD... it says memory dump blah blah... i cannot read all the information since the BSOD only displays in seconds then reboots... seeing that theres a memory problem, i performed a memory diagnostic test and it didnt scan any problems... i then pressed F8 on my 2nd OS then chose last known good config, my 2nd OS is now starting normally....

5)since my original OS is corrupted, i am accessing the internet throught my 2nd OS... this time, jbennet suggested uninstalling or deleting sptd.sys or the driver from daemon tools...i also did that but unfortunately,i cant check if its working or not since my original OS cannot be seen during boot up...it automatically starts my 2nd OS... it used to let me choose which OS to use...what did i do this time? jbennet says that i messed up the bootloader...how can i fix this? i cannot access my original OS... im only using a secondary OS right now... please help....

update:

i also tried this

Insert your Windows Vista Install DVD and boot from it.

1. After selecting your language options choose the “Repair your computer” option in the bottom left corner.
    2. Select your Windows Vista Installation and continue (note: my screenshot does not show an installed OS because there is none).
    3. Open a new Command Prompt window
    4. When command prompt is open, type the following commands (note: my screenshot shows an error as vista is not installed)
      1. Bootrec /fixboot
      2. Bootrec /fixmbr

The MBR/Boot Loader’s are now repaired, restart your computer and it should boot in to Vista where you can then delete the Linux partitions from the hard drive if you wish.

but it didnt work either...my old OS is now missing...but i can still see the files in the windows explorer of my 2nd OS....

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To resolve the issue that Windows Vista no longer starts in a dual-boot configuration, you can try the following steps.

Note: If you run these commands in Windows Vista, run them at a command prompt that has elevated user rights. To do this, click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

Note: The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive. So Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located in this command.

2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Description for earlier Windows version"

Note: In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed. And the "Description for earlier Windows version" can be any text that you want. For example, it can be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003".

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note: In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition. 

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

3. Restart the computer.

Just for your reference, read the following KB for more infomation:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:20 AM