none
DPM 2012 Upgrade to DPM 2016 - Remote SQL to Local RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im currently upgrading a DPM 2012 install to 2016.  The database resides on a remote SQL server running SQL 2012 SP3.  Using system requirements for DPM 2016 i note that SP3 is not a supported version.

To resolve this, i have installed a local version of SQL 2016 onto the DPM server and then using the below article to migrate the database.  The method im looking to achieve is noted as "possible database migration scenario" 2.

DPM 2016 Upgrade

Once i have restored my database, and as it was previously remote, the database name is DPMDB_DPMSERVERNAME.  In all references i can find of database migration, they refer to the local database as being DPMDB.

If i carry out the DPM upgrade and point to the local instance, will the install workout the database is already there even though not called DPMDB, or will i end up with a new database on the local instance that is blank?

Im aware there is the option to rename the database in SQL Management Studio, is it easy enough just to rename to DPMDB so the upgrade finds the migrated data?  or is there another method to follow?

Thanks

Dean

Monday, March 5, 2018 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Dean,

SQL Server 2012 SP3 is fully supported for DPM 2016, so SQL Server 2012 SP2 or newer. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/prepare-environment-for-dpm?view=sc-dpm-1801

As far as I know, if you are migrating the database to a new SQL Server during the DPM upgrade, you need to use the same SQL Server version. So if you would also like to move the database and upgrade SQL Server, you have two options

- Deploy a new dedicated SQL Server 2012 SP2, move the database and upgrade DPM, upgrade SQL Server to 2016.

- Use current SQL server, upgrade DPM, upgrade SQL server 2012 to 2016, move the database to a new SQL Server 2016

Hope this helps

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

• Marked as answer by FrequentReign Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hello Dean,

SQL Server 2012 SP3 is fully supported for DPM 2016, so SQL Server 2012 SP2 or newer. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/prepare-environment-for-dpm?view=sc-dpm-1801

As far as I know, if you are migrating the database to a new SQL Server during the DPM upgrade, you need to use the same SQL Server version. So if you would also like to move the database and upgrade SQL Server, you have two options

- Deploy a new dedicated SQL Server 2012 SP2, move the database and upgrade DPM, upgrade SQL Server to 2016.

- Use current SQL server, upgrade DPM, upgrade SQL server 2012 to 2016, move the database to a new SQL Server 2016

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by FrequentReign Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Hi Matej,

Thank you for the link.  I did not come across that link during my research, and used the Installation Pre-Reqs within my URL which takes you to the below page. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/install-dpm?view=sc-dpm-1801#setup-prerequisites

There is no mention of SQL 2012 SP2 and onwards like there is in the URL you have provided, hence my thought process.  It may have been missed and needs to be updated.

I will be embarking on the second SQL migration option, however can I just clarify part of my original post please.  Will the DPM migration use the restored database if its not using the name DPMDB?  Should i rename the database within SQL Management Studio?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:14 AM
  • You should not rename the database, DPM will use the restored database. But like I said, you should deploy the same SQL Server version as currently used.

Please mark as answer if this helped. 

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Even though the database name will be DPMDB_DPMSERVERNAME?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Yes, DPM will detect the restored databases as part of an upgrade (not clean install of DPM 2016) if you are going to migrate the database during the upgrade or use the same SQL server. Just follow the steps in the link for DPM 2016 Upgrade.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/upgrade-to-dpm-2016?view=sc-dpm-1801#migrating-the-dpm-database-during-upgrade

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:04 AM