none
DPM 2012 R2 All backups fail with recovery point volume not available after resizing OS disk RRS feed

• Question

• I resized the C drive partition of my DPM server (the data is on a separate dedicated array) and everything failed. I put it back but everything is still failing with the same problem as here:

DPM 2007: The recovery point volume is not available?

I've run chkdsk for a couple and both have given the following after doing 3 stages:

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

The backups still fail and the only error information I can find in the event logs is:

Backup job for datasource: Online\<VM name> on production server: <host FQDN> failed.

How can I find out what the problem actually is?

Is it possible to resize the C drive containing a DPM install? If so what can it be safely resized to? It easily met the minimum requirements and I don't know of anything in the documentation that says resizing the OS disk may cause issues.

Preparing your environment for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager (DPM)

• Edited by SystemInsider Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:21 AM added more detail
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Resizing the boot partition (usually C:) should not effect DPM in any way.  DPM writes directly to it's volumes contained in the storage pool and not through the mount points on the C: drive.    So is the DPM UI showing missing volume next to some data sources ?   Try doing a DPM disk rescan and see if that removes the missing volume flag. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:14 PM
  • What it shouldn't do and what it has done seem to be different things! The storage Pool Disk is listed as online as normal

>is the DPM UI showing missing volume next to some data sources ?

I'm not sure what you're referring to here but the PG members look normal except for the error status in the Protection Status column. I've had to open a call with Microsoft support, hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it. If I find out what happened I'll update this thread.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:18 AM