none
Sort folders first - then last accessed files by date

Question

• In windows file explorer I am wondering if its possible to list folder first then have the last accessed files right under the folders afterwords. I need to have the ability to see folders first , then last used / modified files. 

If i list folders first now, then the last accessed files comes down at the bottom. 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas Bestorp,

In any version of Windows, when you sort items in a folder in descending order by Date Modified column, folders move to the bottom and files go to the top. The following is the usual behavior.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sort-by-date-modified-folders-on-top/

Please check the link below to get more information about sort files by date modified, but folders always before files in Windows Explorer?

https://superuser.com/questions/238825/sort-files-by-date-modified-but-folders-always-before-files-in-windows-explorer

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:18 AM
  • This is not true. I all of my instances of Windows until this year, if you sort in descending order by date, the folders would always be on top in descending order of the the last saved file in the folder, then all the files would be in descending order of their last saved date.

To answer the original question:

1) Sort by Date Modified (descending)

2) Hold the Shift button, then click the Name column heading.

• Edited by AZRA SKAR Friday, March 16, 2018 3:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Elroy4455 Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:48 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2018 3:37 PM
  • AZRA SKAR I've been searching for your answer for a year.  This worked.  You rock!
    • Edited by Elroy4455 Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:49 AM
  • Wow.  That solved the problem.  Great job AZRA SKAR!!!
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:14 AM
  • I wonder how many people irritate themselves over not being able to sort by date with folders first. That's usually an issue when you're having several subfolders in a project folders and want to have the most recent folders on top.

Why isn't this info better available? Shift-click on name is such a simple solution! 

Anyway. Thanks AZRA. You win the windows internet today as far as I'm concerned.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:21 AM
  • It's lit!
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Thank you very much!  I too have been searching for this answer for ever!
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Is there are way to make this the permanent default setting? 

I see it works, but it would be nice if I didn't have to repeat it every time and in every folder.  In Windows 7, I had it set up that way within every folder and for all operations (save, search, attach file, etc). 

Yes, thank you for Azra for sharing this info; it's such a basic and common need, you'd think the info would be more readily available. 

Biomimico 

Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:10 PM
  • This is not true. I all of my instances of Windows until this year, if you sort in descending order by date, the folders would always be on top in descending order of the the last saved file in the folder, then all the files would be in descending order of their last saved date.

To answer the original question:

1) Sort by Date Modified (descending)

2) Hold the Shift button, then click the Name column heading.

Is there are way to make this the permanent default setting? 

I see it works, but it would be nice if I didn't have to repeat it every time and in every folder.  In Windows 7, I had it set up that way within every folder and for all operations (save, search, attach file, etc). 

Yes, thank you for Azra for sharing this info; it's such a basic and common need, you'd think the info would be more readily available. 

Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Is there are way to make this the permanent default setting? 

I see it works, but it would be nice if I didn't have to repeat it every time and in every folder.  

Answering my own question!  

Once you get the folder view you want, from the bar across the top select: the View tab, then Options, then Change Folder and Search Options, then View (again), then Apply to All Folders. 

Monday, August 20, 2018 12:14 AM
  • This is awesome!  I use classic shell in Windows 10 because I am efficient with Windows 7 and Windows Explorer.  I have been spending way too much time in client engagements scrolling through things they don't need to see, all because the folders and files aren't where they "are supposed to be and have been in nearly every version of Windows" as you so correctly stated.

Thank you!!!!!

Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:16 PM
  • This worked! Thank you.
    Monday, September 24, 2018 1:41 PM