none
Steady State and non-critical updates RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Steady State in a school setting for the student computers.  Each of the machines were cloned and then joined to the domain after running NewSID and changing their names for AD.  Once joined to the domain, I logged in as the administrator (not of the local machine) and turned disk protection on.  The schoolboard is using an update server to push Windows updates down to the machines.  The machines are accepting all of the critical updates, yet they download the non-critical updates and restart the machine.  Steady State returns the machine to its original state unless you log in as admin and tell it after the updates to save and continue.  I am trying to find a solution to make Steady State accept all updates from the update server.  Help please.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

If you have WDP enabled, please use SteadyState Schedule Software Updates as the update method. It will change the WDP status to “Retain all changes permanently” temporarily to save updates. Otherwise, we have to manually configure WDP manually to save update changes.

Another point is Windows SteadyState only automates critical updates from Microsoft. It does not automatically install recommended updates, optional updates, driver updates, or special updates that may have their own license agreements. We need to review the updates available on Microsoft Update periodically, manually download and install the ones you want, and then make sure that the “Retain all changes permanently” option is turned on in the Protect the Hard Drive dialog box. This information can be found from the SteadyState Handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:25 AM
  • I am aware that it only allows the critical updates to take place.  Is there a way to let ALL updates take place, or have a script that will allow all updates to be saved?  Otherwise I am going to 200 computers one at a time, logging in as admin, installing updates, and then restarting with the save update option.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, this feature is hard coded which cannot be customized.

By the way, if your organization requires some specific updates, instead of following the fixed updates situation, you might want to consider whether Windows Disk Protection is right for your environment. Based on my experience, some other management tools such as group policy, Microsoft Systems Management Server(SMS) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) can manage clients better than SteadyState. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:49 AM