none
Delay application install during imaging task sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings again,  I am using MDT 2013 latest version for supporting Win 10 images as well as ADK for Win 10 1703.  I have a few Applications I can check when stepping through the imaging task menus and I always choose one, Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus.  At the end of the imaging process, after several reboots, this task will load and begin installing SEP just as it always has.  But now when the installation starts, a window pops up showing the installation is conflicting with something else that is currently installing.  It then stops the SEP installation and closes it.  I must manually run it after this occurs.  I don't know what other application is being installed but I suspect it is either a driver or a Windows update.  

My question is:  Can I delay the installation of of an Task Sequence Application to avoid the dual-installation conflict?  If so would you please point me to some instructions how to do this?

I appreciate your help.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:42 PM

All replies

• I would recommend going the other way around this issue and trying to figure out what kind of installation is being executed in the background. Is there a possibility that a software installation is being initiated by a software delivery mechanism? Could it somehow be related to Windows Update? If so you could try setting ProtectYourPc in unattend.xml to 3: https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc749278(v=ws.10).aspx

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Thank you for the response Anton.  There is definitely no software installation occurring in the background except for the Symantec AntiVirus application I configured in my task list. I am 99% certain that Windows Update is running and installing hardware drivers at the same time so it is likely related to that.  I do not understand how changing or setting ProtectYourPc would resolve this, maybe you can elaborate further. 

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Basically changing the value to 3 disables automatic Windows Updates: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff716385.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, September 22, 2017 5:48 AM
  • It very well may be automatic driver updates that are causing the issue. That was giving me issues with conflicting with apps that were trying to install.

See this thread - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d5fb8d40-9667-49ef-8607-0fe2499f89a4/microsoft-automatic-intel-driver-updates-messing-up-our-windows-10-hp-systems-during-and-post?forum=mdt

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, September 22, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Thanks Anton, and thanks for your input and reference to your post Dan.  I may try a combination of both of your ideas.  I may even try disabling the Automatic Driver Update task and then enabling it as far towards the end of my task sequence as possible.  

I usually use OOB drivers for the Dell models I image however I discovered with Windows 10 it downloaded and installs drivers which I may have missed or purposely did not inject into OOB altogether.  So I need to rethink this process because of the problem I am experiencing.

Mike

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:06 PM
  • Are you using Dell's SCCM driver packages? And regardless, if you set the value I mentioned above to 3 it basically means that MDT will trigger Windows Update thus ensuring that Windows does not start updating itself in the background.

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Is the reboot suppressed during the SEP installation? How is the reboot initiated in the task sequence?
    Friday, September 29, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Besides temporarily disabling automatic driver installation, if you install SEP on all your computers that use this particular task sequence, I'd recommend just making the installation a part of the task sequence and "hide" the application. If you do that you can control when SEP is installed rather than having it installed during "Install Applications"

Here's one of my TS. I have our anti-virus/anti-malware install after all other applications have been installed. I Re-enable automatic driver updates at the very end of the TS.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, September 29, 2017 2:56 PM typo
    Friday, September 29, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Any updates?

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:46 PM
  • Sorry for the delay gentlemen,

lytvinh, SEP spits up a prompt to reboot and lets you ignore or delay it. I always delay it because other things are running in the background and I do not want to disturb.

Anton, I'm not sure what you mean by "Dell's SCCM driver packages",  Up until the Dell Optiplex 3050 and Latitude 5580/7480 I was using the Dell Driver Packs, which are HUGE! and I would cram them into one OOB Driver folder because for some reason, while building my task sequence, it would not show any new OOB Driver folder I created for a specific model's drivers. 

Dan Vega, thank you for those instructions and screen shot. I never thought of installing an app using that method, I have always used the traditional, default "Install Applications" last step. I may try this to see how it works and will definitely move the Enable Automatic Driver Update step to the end, that is excellent advice.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Anton I hope you see this post,  thank you for the info on ProtectMyPC,  I've been doing some digging to better understand this setting.  Do you or anyone reading this know if setting this value to 3 will also disable Driver Updates too or only Windows Updates?

ProtectYourPC

specifies whether Windows Update installs important and recommended updates automatically

Specifies that important and recommended updates are installed automatically.

Specifies that only important updates are installed.

Specifies that automatic protection is disabled. Updates are available manually through Windows Update.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:44 PM
  • This is my understanding of the implications of setting this value to 3. Since driver updates are being pulled down using the same mechanism, setting the ProtectYourPC value to 3 should take care of that. You can still run Windows Update task from within MDT :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:18 PM
  • No. See the updated page -  ProtectYourPC 

Set this registry entry when you make your reference image

cmd.exe /c reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

then enable it at the end of your task sequence for deploying your final image

cmd.exe /c reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:20 PM
  • Thank you Dan, I actually have that post of yours open in another tab showing those registry commands.  I actually DO want to update drivers during the imaging process. I have not experienced some of the problems with mis-matched drivers that people have posted in these forums.

I do not want to allow Microsoft Windows System updates to be applied, especially "feature" updates, like Fall Creator 1709.

On a side note: I do not yet join my computers to our corp. domain during the imaging process so they are basically "in the wild" when they are fully imaged.  I have attempted this a few times but the join fails every time and I have not determined why yet. 

Friday, November 3, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Sorry for the delay gentlemen,

lytvinh, SEP spits up a prompt to reboot and lets you ignore or delay it. I always delay it because other things are running in the background and I do not want to disturb.

Red Flag!!! A good automated Task Sequence will not have things running in the background, nor prompt you to reboot. A properly configured SEP package should return 3010 if it requires a reboot. 

https://keithga.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/application-installation-and-packaging-via-mdt-and-sccm/

Additionally, you can use the Windows Update step (ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf) to *FORCE* installation of all updates during the task sequence so it decreases the likelihood that any updates are blocking in the background by the time you start your application installs.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, November 12, 2017 3:46 AM
  • Keith, thank you for responding.  I don't know if I will qualify my TS as good or bad,  I use the standard task sequence provided in MDT and do not make many if any alterations.  The only applications I include in this standard TS is SEP and I select it via the Wizard check box(I think it is the last step in the Wizard) and it *does* get cancelled as you describe in your Wordpress blog post. However, it only gets cancelled *some*times, if that makes any sense.  I cannot make sense of it.  

Also, the SEP installation does not do an auto-reboot,  it pops up a prompt Windows to reboot now or later. I always cancel the reboot this way.  

I do *not* want Windows Updates to be applied during the imaging process.  I prefer to wait until after I manually rename and join the computer to our domain.  However I *do* want any missing drivers to be installed and I am certain that is what is occurring with the newest model Dell desktops and laptops we are imaging.  There are at least two drivers missing immediately after the OS has been applied and the 1st reboot occurs.  When the imaging process is complete those drivers are installed. 

The Windows Update (Pre-Application Installation) step under the State Restore section of my TS is disabled.  The next step is Install Applications. The next step after that, Windows Update (Post Application Installation) is also disabled.  

In the past I have never attempted to join our computers to our domain during the imaging process. I attempted this last week and watched MDT try to do this 3 times (3 reboots) and fail each time.  I don't know what I am doing wrong in this step.  I enter the domain join info(my AD creds,  AD domain name, etc.) during the Wizard menus. It would be ideal if I could get them joined during the imaging process because then only our "approved", Group Policy updates would occur. Any info on how I can accomplish this is much appreciated! 

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:04 PM