Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / DWM Compatibility Issue/Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having an issue for a few months, both on my old system and the new one.  Everything worked perfectly on the old machine up until I had tried to install a Comodo backup program (which messed up some permissions), after which a Visual C++ Redis installation failed, and etc.  I've built a new machine that shares only one piece of hardware with the old one (video card), which worked fine up until that software change for months, so I don't suspect it (at this time).  

Mainboard : Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Chipset : Intel Sandy Bridge
    Processor : Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3300MHz
    Physical Memory : 16384MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (running 275.33 drivers)
    Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1001FALS-00J7B0 ATA Device (1000GB)
    Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device (1000GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM
    Monitor Type : PX2710MW - 27 inches
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    DirectX : Version 11.00
    PSU: OCZ 700w 80PLUS 

What's happening is that I'll load a game such as Just Cause 2, and within minutes of starting it drops to the desktop, as if I had hit Alt-Tab.  When this happens, the event log shows this:

-A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4)
    -The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application
    -Fault bucket , type 0
     Event Name: LiveKernelEvent 
     Response: Not available
     Cab Id: 0 

These are three different entries, but they happen within a second of each other.  Process #4 is "SYSTEM", so the OS itself is trying to start DWM.  At the same time, dwm.exe is already running under my user account name.  I suspect this is the reason why it can't disable the process, or something.  It's fairly random as to when this happens though, maybe a few seconds into the game, or a few minutes.  This has happened in both Just Cause 2, and Cities XL 2011 (both based off Steam BTW).  It does NOT happen with World of Warcraft, which is running in DX11 mode.

I even tried running the benchmark from CPUID/PC Wizard 2010, it caused the above errors (but instead of process (4) trying to disable DWN, the PC Wizard program tried).  It caused it to fail out.

Here's the output from the error reporting:

Fault bucket 1399290566, type 5
    Event Name: AppHangB1
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: JustCause2.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.2
    P3: 4c1b5791
    P4: 262c
    P5: 2048

There are log files, not sure what to do with those though.

I've googled this thing a lot, and tried numerous things.  I disabled the in-game social/overlay for Steam, I've made sure all drivers are up to date, heck I built a new PC with a fresh install of Windows.  I did find two things that I'm not sure make a difference or not:

• There were reports that if you create a new user account and reinstall the games with it, the issue goes away.  Have not tried this.
    • Semi-related to the above, someone reported if you had your My Documents on a different drive, it caused this.  Moving it back to the main drive fixed it.  I have all of my user folders on my main drive, the other is the backup of the previous computer and not used at this time.  This doesn't seem to make a difference, but perhaps is related to the user permissions theory?
    • As mentioned above, the video card is the same between both rigs, BUT in the original it worked solid for 3 months, up until I tried to install that software that seemed to trigger these issues initially.  It works perfectly fine in many games (WoW included, on ultra settings), so I can't imagine it would be specific to some games and not others.

Any ideas/wisdom on this one?  I'm pretty good about finding solutions to things like this, but this one has me stumped.  It's sending error reports to Microsoft I guess, doubtful what kind of resolution will come from that though?

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to know if the backup program has been uninstalled?

I suggest updating your graphic card driver from manufacturer's site and scanning the computer with your security software. Also test the issue in Clean Boot. If possible, try to reinstall problematic games.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, July 22, 2011 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• If you can reproduce the problem using something that comes with Windows, that makes it easier to troubleshoot.

If you run "winsat -?" there are several tests specific to DWM and DirectX you can run. If any of those reproduce the issue consistently, that narrows it down to whatever that specific winsat test is doing.

You can loop the winsat commands with a batch file (and "winsat d3d -dx10" is just one of several graphics tests you could try):

:start
    winsat d3d -dx10
    goto :start

or PowerShell command:

do {winsat d3d -dx10} while ($true)

The fact that the games that reproduce the issue will reproduce it at varying times while playing it (sometimes right away, sometimes minutes into playing) makes me wonder if the card isn't running hot when the problem happens. Have you monitored the GPU temperature to check for any correlation between how hot it is running and when the DWM errors happen?

Along the same lines, if you are able to throttle back the GPU, and run those games/benchmarks without issue, that would also point to a temperature issue since you would've demonstrated that the problem won't reproduce except when the card is at full speed.

Monday, July 11, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Running the loop you've specified I get a screen flash, and two entries in the application log.  One for this service requesting that DWM be disabled, the other that DWM is unable to start the composition because it was disabled (same errors caused by the games).  The games I have to abort/close because they hang when this happens, but this service doesn't.

As far as temp goes, keep in mind I can play WoW on ultra settings for hours without an issue, it tends to pull 60-65C as a temp, this loop is pulling around there as well.  Both are within the acceptable limits for the 560 ti card.  I will download EVGA's utility to control the clock/mem speeds, and try dialing it back a bit.

Edit:

I downloaded EVGA Precision, and backed the settings back to the ti standard (this is a super clocked card, it's by default oc'd, and under warranty for it).  Even then the instant I start up the batch the screen flickers and it logs the errors.  Nothing to do with temperature if it's happening immediately like that.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if the backup program has been uninstalled?

I suggest updating your graphic card driver from manufacturer's site and scanning the computer with your security software. Also test the issue in Clean Boot. If possible, try to reinstall problematic games.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, July 22, 2011 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Seeing as this is three years old, I'm guessing I wont get an answer, but did you ever fix this? I seem to have a very similar problem
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:41 PM