RDP with Multiple Monitor setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has a workstation she is trying to remote into.

The workstation is a Windows 7 Professional workstation.

The computer she is using is a Vista workstation. 

She is trying to use the Multiple monitor option on her RDP session but she is not able to get both her monitors to work on her own workstation.

I have tested her connection to Windows 2008 terminals server and other Windows 7 workstations and her dual monitor option works correctly.

I have also tried to remote into her workstation with several other workstations and I cannot use the dual screen option either. 

I want to point out that I do not want the /span option in the mstsc.exe switches. 

I want to use the "Use all my monitors fro the remote session" option for the RDP session. 

Is there anyway to provide me with some assistance on this issue? 

Thank you.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

Based on my experience, this feature is only available in Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Enterprise, doesnot support the Win Professional, please try to check if the other working Win 7 machine is a Ultimate  version or a Enterprise version.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

• Marked as answer by Clifton Chang Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, I would like to verify the situation.

Do you mean Windows Vista cannot remote to specific Windows 7 workstation with dual monitors, but works on other Windows 7 workstations, and you cannot remote to Windows Vista. Did you received any error message? Does it works with single monitor?

Meanwhile, I would like you to know, in Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions, Remote Desktop Connection supports the use of multiple high-resolution displays in a remote session. Desktop composition cannot be used if you are using multiple monitors in your remote desktop session. Desktop composition provides the user interface elements of Aero, such as translucent windows, for remote desktop sessions.

Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Session

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/07/01/using-multiple-monitors-in-remote-desktop-session.aspx

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Windows Vista cannot remote to a specific Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 workstation with dual monitors. 

It can remote into other Windows 7 Professional workstation with Dual monitors. 

And I "CAN" remote to Windows Vista. 

I do not receive any error messages.  It just does not do it.

It does work with perfectly with 1 monitor. 

Windows 7 Professional. Service pack1 is the computer that is being remotely connected to. 

I do not need Aero, or tanslucent windows or anything else.

Thank you,

Clifton Chang

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Hi, 

Based on my experience, this feature is only available in Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Enterprise, doesnot support the Win Professional, please try to check if the other working Win 7 machine is a Ultimate  version or a Enterprise version.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

• Marked as answer by Clifton Chang Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:05 PM