none
Files in a folder get deleted when extracted RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if other people had this problem but I have a folder that I need to extract but apparently when I extract it to desktop, I click on the folder and noticed some files were missing. I check the unextracted folder and all the files were fine.

I realized when I extract the folder to desktop, the files aren't actually deleting because they seem to be there in the unextracted folder but not there when I extract them.

the next thing I tried is extracting one file that gets deleted from that folder into the desktop and then nothing happens. So the main thing is that the files wont extract to the desktop for a weird reason. I use McAfee anti virus and I tried disabling everything possible from it and extracted the file. But it didn't work; also i'm running Windows 10.

All I know is that this is probably not from my antivirus and it has to do something with the file not being extracted.

Please help me fix this problem ASAP as the internet has no good answers or no answers at all.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:00 AM

Answers

• Are you able to extract is on other system ? Does zip works on other system ? 

As you said, AV can delete the files, so did you check McAfee Logs ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

What format of files that are deleted when extracted? Where does the folder located?

Do you mean that when you extract the deleted files separately, they still didn't show on your desktop?

Firstly, I suggest you can perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict. 

If the files are corrupted or broken, they can't be extracted either, you can follow the reference to have a try:

https://www.isunshare.com/blog/repair-and-extract-corrupt-multipart-archive-without-recovery-utility/

You can also copy the folder to another machine to see if it can be extracted successfully, you should repair the software or the system. Reinstall the extract software and run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator. You can also scan for your hard disk. Type chkdsk /f in cmd as administrator.

Make sure that the file meet the requirement of the format that the winzip support.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Thank you for replying, it's really not my computer or antivirus. Apparently it appears to be Windows Explorer because that's what I use. I just found out that extracting with WinRAR will work without any extraction problems. Thank you for your answers by the way.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 2:14 AM

All replies

• Are you able to extract is on other system ? Does zip works on other system ? 

As you said, AV can delete the files, so did you check McAfee Logs ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

What format of files that are deleted when extracted? Where does the folder located?

Do you mean that when you extract the deleted files separately, they still didn't show on your desktop?

Firstly, I suggest you can perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict. 

If the files are corrupted or broken, they can't be extracted either, you can follow the reference to have a try:

https://www.isunshare.com/blog/repair-and-extract-corrupt-multipart-archive-without-recovery-utility/

You can also copy the folder to another machine to see if it can be extracted successfully, you should repair the software or the system. Reinstall the extract software and run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator. You can also scan for your hard disk. Type chkdsk /f in cmd as administrator.

Make sure that the file meet the requirement of the format that the winzip support.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on?

Friday, November 17, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't heard from you for a few days, any updates?

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:42 AM
  • Thank you for replying, it's really not my computer or antivirus. Apparently it appears to be Windows Explorer because that's what I use. I just found out that extracting with WinRAR will work without any extraction problems. Thank you for your answers by the way.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 2:14 AM