MOSS 2007 server promoted to domain controller and then demoted - web server is up but search is corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• Our Moss 2007 server was promoted to a domain controller and then demoted.  I was asked to fix SharePoint.  I was able to get the web server up and running again by a combination of adding the IIS_WPG and WSS_ADMIN_WPG groups, adding the service account to them, and then restoring permissions to to these local groups on certain directories on the web server.

But the Search is really messed up.  There was no clear path to repairing this part so I thought I should start over by removing the Search Shared Service Provider but I am unable create a new one because there are No indexers.  I am unable to resolve this because I can't start the Office SharePoint Server Search Service started.  The error reported is: 

An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Some or all identity references could not be translated.

The Central Admin doesn't seem to be useful here.  I am wondering if anyone knows the administrative commands that I can use with stsadmin that might give me a back door.  Or perhaps a combination of stopping services and stsadm will work to get the slate wiped clean so I can start over.

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks

We did all of those things but could not run psconfig.exe to repair the installation.

I found one case where Microsoft Support recommended to delete this entry in the config database so the Search can reprovision:

DELETE FROM dbo.MSSConfiguration WHERE Name = 'RegistryBlob'

So I ran a SELECT * FROM dbo.MSSConfiguration WHERE Name = 'RegistryBlob' and I did find one RegistryBlob entry with a date of 8/24 which is when this particular error began:

Error backing up registry hive to the configuration database.Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server.  Details: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

In the end management didn't want to waste time and the above was never tried, instead the server was rebuilt from scratch.  It would have been nice to know if this would have resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by kcsptech Friday, October 5, 2012 4:50 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

run psconfigui and do NOT disconnect from the Farm, this should repair your installation of SharePoint there are two other groups necessary WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG and WSS_WPG.

I would run psconfigui first to repair the installation and then if you want the command line to install search

• stsadm -o osearch -action start -role indexquery -farmcontactemail someone@example.com -farmserviceaccount SearchServiceAcct -farmservicepassword SearchServiceAcctPassword

Note: the required parameters for "start" (if not already set) are role, farmcontactemail, and farmserviceaccout, and farmservicepassword.

Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262920(v=office.12).aspx

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Thanks

We did all of those things but could not run psconfig.exe to repair the installation.

I found one case where Microsoft Support recommended to delete this entry in the config database so the Search can reprovision:

DELETE FROM dbo.MSSConfiguration WHERE Name = 'RegistryBlob'

So I ran a SELECT * FROM dbo.MSSConfiguration WHERE Name = 'RegistryBlob' and I did find one RegistryBlob entry with a date of 8/24 which is when this particular error began:

Error backing up registry hive to the configuration database.Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server.  Details: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

In the end management didn't want to waste time and the above was never tried, instead the server was rebuilt from scratch.  It would have been nice to know if this would have resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by kcsptech Friday, October 5, 2012 4:50 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 4:50 PM