Setting up permisions for Public folder RRS feed

• Question

• I cant think of a good way to share my media with other accounts without wasting disk space or sacrificing privacy.

If I simply share files within my personal folder, then the other accounts can view folders and file names in my personal folder.
    Can I make it so my folders arnt visable to them?

I have tried storing my media in the Public folder but I dont want to give other accounts the ability to delete or edit files within the Public folder unless they created the file themselves, if thats not possible then I will settle with disallowing them to delete/edit/move files in the public directory all together.

btw I am using Vista Ultimate x86.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:12 PM

Answers

•  

Hi MaFi0s0,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that our purpose is not to let other accounts modify the MaFi0s0 folder you share.

Please also deny the creation permissions of MaFi0s0 for other accounts using the following steps:

1. Right-click MaFi0s0 in C:\Users\Public\Documents and click Properties.

2. On the Security tab, click Advanced and click Edit.

3. High-light All other accounts and click Edit.

4. Keep the default Allow checks and check the Deny boxes for the following items:

Create files / write data

Create folders / append data

Write attributes

Write extended attributes

Delete subfolders and files

Delete

Change permissions

Take ownership

5. Click OK twice and click Yes.

6. Click OK twice.

After that, you can share and manage files in the MaFi0s0 folder which is read only for other accounts. That is to say, the folder cannot be deleted, modified or created new files in by other accounts.

If other accounts would like to share their files, they can create new folders in C:\Users\Public\Documents and share the files in the new folders.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:13 AM

All replies

•  

Hi MaFi0s0,

Thank you for the post.

I understand that you would like to create a folder to share your files to other accounts but not grant their permissions to delete or modify the files. In addition, they can manage their own shared files in the folder.

I suggest trying below:

1.    Click Start, right-click Computer and click Manage.

2.    Expand System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups. Right-click Groups and click New Group. Type “All other accounts” in the Group name line and click Add. Type another account name and click OK twice. Click Add again and use the same method to add all other accounts except yours. Click Create.

3.    Create a new folder named MaFi0s0 under C:\Users\Public\Documents.

4.    Right-click MaFi0s0 and click Properties.

5.    On the Security tab, click Edit and click Add.

6.    Type All other accounts and click OK twice.

7.    On the Security tab, click Advanced and click Edit.

8.    High-light All other accounts and click Edit.

9.    Keep the default Allow checks and check the Deny boxes for the following items:

Write attributes

White extended attributes

Delete

Change permissions

Take ownership

10. Click OK twice and click Yes.

11. Click OK twice.

Then you can share and manage files in the MaFi0s0 folder which other accounts can only access it but have no permission to delete or modify it.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Thanks Tim, there is just one issue, the other accounts are able to create files but not write any data to them at all, so if they try save a file from an application then the filename will be created but with no data in the file, they can also create "New Folder" but not rename it.
    I tried checking allow for "create file / write data" but it made no difference at all.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 9:11 PM
  •  

Hi MaFi0s0,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that our purpose is not to let other accounts modify the MaFi0s0 folder you share.

Please also deny the creation permissions of MaFi0s0 for other accounts using the following steps:

1. Right-click MaFi0s0 in C:\Users\Public\Documents and click Properties.

2. On the Security tab, click Advanced and click Edit.

3. High-light All other accounts and click Edit.

4. Keep the default Allow checks and check the Deny boxes for the following items:

Create files / write data

Create folders / append data

Write attributes

Write extended attributes

Delete

Change permissions

Take ownership

5. Click OK twice and click Yes.

6. Click OK twice.

After that, you can share and manage files in the MaFi0s0 folder which is read only for other accounts. That is to say, the folder cannot be deleted, modified or created new files in by other accounts.

If other accounts would like to share their files, they can create new folders in C:\Users\Public\Documents and share the files in the new folders.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Hi MaFi0s0,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, January 7, 2008 1:32 AM