Video Capture Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondered if anyone is having any problems capturing video through a camcorder connected via firewire. I have a Panasonic NV-GS50 and when I connected it to the PC for the first time it automatically installed the drivers built into Windows. It shows up in Devices and Printers but not in Windows Explorer or My Computer. No matter what video editing software I try I get a communication error when I try and capture video. I have tried Windows Live Movie Maker, Sony Vegas 9 & Adobe Premiere Elements 7.

Windows 7 has a built in Panasonic DV driver and a Generic DV driver, I have tried both without success. However I used XP and Vista built in drivers prior to the installation of Windows 7 without a problem.

If I can't resolve this I would be happy to use 3rd party video capture software just to get the footage onto the PC until improved drivers become avaialble. I would be interested to hear if other people have had similar problems and perhaps discovered a workround.

Monday, August 24, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• I have managed to solve this. The problem was the firewire (1394) driver that windows automatically installed on first connection of the camcorder. I updated the driver to a Legacy one that is bundled with Windows 7 and everything is fine now. Thanks for the reponse.
    • Marked as answer by adyf88 Monday, August 31, 2009 11:46 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:45 AM

All replies

• I have been looking at something like this for one of our customers in our Computer Service dept.  Click links here that may help you...

Ways to Connect Your Camcorder to Your Computer

In addition, you can try the steps here.

I hope the above information is useful for you. :)

• Edited by Dale Qiao Monday, August 31, 2009 2:04 AM third party warning
    • Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 31, 2009 2:05 AM
    • Edited by Arthur Xie Monday, August 31, 2009 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, August 31, 2009 10:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by adyf88 Monday, August 31, 2009 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:26 AM
  • I have managed to solve this. The problem was the firewire (1394) driver that windows automatically installed on first connection of the camcorder. I updated the driver to a Legacy one that is bundled with Windows 7 and everything is fine now. Thanks for the reponse.
    • Marked as answer by adyf88 Monday, August 31, 2009 11:46 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Hello,

Could you please visit this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/8c604381-43ff-4bd2-8127-4946f9af8519 and post, step by step, the solution ? A lot of people, including me, have the same problem as you had. Unfortunately, I don't have Win7 installed atm as I had to go back to Vista (yes, because of that video capture problem) and therefore I am not able to check if that solution would work. However, if it's going to work for other people, I'll give Win7 another shot.

Thanks in advance !
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:15 PM
  • I have a Sony dcr-trv310 cam I can not import video to the computer with 1394. I work good with xp. I have a new Dell Studio XPS 8000. Windows 7 64 bit load a driver and says Sony DV Comcorder. But when I start importing video the cam starts the windows 7 blue screens. Help! I also get the same thing with a Samsung SC-D382.  I'm just about ready to see if I can return this and get a mac.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:05 AM