Copy or Move a View between Books RRS feed

• Question

•  

PDP 6.2 - Non-PAS.

How do I move or copy a view from one existing book to another exiting book?

This seems easy, but every time I open an existing book in order to save a view into, the existing book defaults to the first view in the book and I lose the view that I want to save.

I am not successful using my My Views for this either.

THANKS!!!!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:12 PM

Answers

• Linda,

Generally I advise people to use the My Views method that you say isn't working.  This just involves clicking all the views you want, saving them to My Views, then clicking them again and saving them to a new BB - then deleting the ones you don't wan't any longer in the source book.

If you have PAS, you can use the Manage Books option to Move and Copy between Books.

-Joey

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:27 PM

All replies

• The way that I've done it is to save the BBK as an XML file.  Then it is easy to modify and copy parts of the XML files into the XML files for another BBK.  After you've manually modified the XML, save back to a BBK file. 

Armando

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:24 PM
  •  

It is nice to know you can save a book as an XML file. I have never done that and have used it for years. Does anyone have a different way to do this?

Thanks. Linda

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Armando,

I tried the XML approach and it seemed to work. I saved both books off as XML "sets". I then copied a single view (single XML file) from one set to the other set and renamed it common to the second book set. I then had to add a line of code in the second book set's master XML file as a simple pointer to the new view page. When I opened that second book set as an XML briefing book in ProClarity Desktop, the new view was available with all formatting intact. Great!

Here are two other (simpler?) approaches that I have used in ProClarity Desktop Pro for copying views. Both of these approaches assume that the two books in question have similar cube connectivity and publishing options and that the views don't use any My Items sets/members. Cases like this may work, but I didn't test for them.

Approach 1. Open the MDX Editor for the desired view in Book A (View --> MDX Editor) and copy the MDX to the clipboard. Then open Book B, click the Reset button to bring up a new view, and open the MDX Editor for that new view. Paste the MDX from your clipboard over the current MDX of the new view in Book B and re-run the query. The new view can now be saved into Book B. NOTE: In this approach, only the data and setup information will be copied. Any ProClarity formatting for the view will have to be re-done.

Approach 2. Open Book A in ProClarity and display the desired view. Then open Book B in same instance of ProClarity. The view pane will automatically display the first view listed in Book B. Click the Back button to bring back the original view. You'll now be displaying the view that you opened from Book A, but Book B will be the current briefing book. The view can now be saved into Book B. NOTE: You must have only one instance of ProClarity running. If you have two instances of ProClarity running (i.e., one for each briefing book), then clicking the Back button just switches back to the Book A instance of ProClarity and this approach will not work.

All three of these approaches (XML, MDX, Back button) feel like work-arounds and hacks. If there is a straightforward method in the UI for managing a copy of views between briefing books, maybe someone else can post the steps. Thanks.

Jay 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Linda,

Generally I advise people to use the My Views method that you say isn't working.  This just involves clicking all the views you want, saving them to My Views, then clicking them again and saving them to a new BB - then deleting the ones you don't wan't any longer in the source book.

If you have PAS, you can use the Manage Books option to Move and Copy between Books.

-Joey

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Thanks. We have been able to successfully move our views now. Linda

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:17 PM
  • A fellow ProClarity Consultant and I wrote a little VB app about four years ago to do exactly what you want: copy or move content from one BBK file to another.  I was able to dig up the code and verify that it still works against version 6.x.  I will upload it to my website for you to download.  It was written in VB 6 so you would need the VB 6 runtime dlls installed on your machine.   You can download the code from here: http://www.btgservices.net/Downloads/tabid/83/Default.aspx

Jason

BTG Services

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:23 PM