reinstalling Ms Paint, Calculator, etc RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I was exploring the Add/Remove Windows Components button and accidentally uninstalled several features like Calculator, MS Paint, Games, IIS, etc. I tried to reinstall them using the Windows XP Profession SP 2 CD. It showed installation was successful but the applications still do not appear in the start menu. I was wondering whether these were installed correctly or not since I have used Service pack 2 Cd. Please tell me what shall I do to make these applications appear in the start Menu.

Im really looking forward to your response. Your help will be really appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Regards
    Disha
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hello

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I was exploring the Add/Remove Windows Components button and accidentally uninstalled several features like Calculator, MS Paint, Games, IIS, etc. I tried to reinstall them using the Windows XP Profession SP 2 CD. It showed installation was successful but the applications still do not appear in the start menu. I was wondering whether these were installed correctly or not since I have used Service pack 2 Cd. Please tell me what shall I do to make these applications appear in the start Menu.

Im really looking forward to your response. Your help will be really appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Regards
    Disha

I assume that when you say that you used the Windows XP cd, you used it when you did Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components?  If you did not, please install it that way.

If you did, please try the following to make sure that the programs (eg paint) is installed and the short-cut are just missing: http://www.wikihow.com/Locate-the-MS-Paint-Program

Please re-install SP3.
    -Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    • Edited by KitKatNinja Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:25 PM more info
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:25 PM
  • I did locate the MS Paint by following the steps mentionedon the link. How do I get back the shortcuts for Paint, Calculator and Games?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Simplest way is to use the 'Search' function after clicking on Start. Search for MSPAINT.exe From the list find the newest version, then highlight it, right click and Copy. Go to 'My Computer' and open the 'C Drive' Open the 'Program Files' folder and create a new folder call it what you like say Paint Open the new folder and 'Paste' a copy of your 'MSPAINT.exe' you found into here, then right click on it and select 'Create Short Cut', Click 'yes' when ask if you want it on your desktop. Repeat for calculator etc. Hope this helps
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:13 PM