File overwrite issue inspite of enabling Check In / Check out feature RRS feed

• Question

• We have a document library with "Require Check Out" enabled on the library (versioning is not enabled). When I tried to upload a document with the same name as an existing file, I got the following message in a window.

The document was uploaded successfully and is checked out to you. Check that the fields below are correct and that all required fields are filled out. The file will not be accessible to other users until you check in.

But when I clicked on "Save" button in the window, the file was automatically checked in. Is it the default behavior ? What is the use of enabling Check out if file is checked in automatically on clicking "Save" ?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• I believe you misunderstood the concept of checking out and check in

The document management process operation is

Checkout --> Make Changes in doc --> Make changes in metadata --> Check In

So the checkout operation has to happen before edit or upload new doc version.

Check out is a way to prevent other users from editing same document if you are working oin it. This would make sure your changes are applied properly without getting overwritten by the simultaneous update.

The checkin option is to apply / save those changes to data.

Note: Without enabling versioning, the checkout before edit option will only prevent other users from simultaneous edits. The reason is if you dont enable versioning, you would not be able to view the changes if someone else overwritten with their version.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• This is the default behavior of sharepoint, this is to make sure that you are filling in all the mandatory metadata columns of that content type. Until you fill all the mandatory metadata column values, it will be checkoed out to your name.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:31 PM
  • I think misread my post. The issue is that file is not checked out rather it is checked in automatically when I click on Save button. I don't have any additional required metadata columns. I was also under the impression that I need to check in explicitly but it is not behaving that way.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I believe you misunderstood the concept of checking out and check in

The document management process operation is

Checkout --> Make Changes in doc --> Make changes in metadata --> Check In

So the checkout operation has to happen before edit or upload new doc version.

Check out is a way to prevent other users from editing same document if you are working oin it. This would make sure your changes are applied properly without getting overwritten by the simultaneous update.

The checkin option is to apply / save those changes to data.

Note: Without enabling versioning, the checkout before edit option will only prevent other users from simultaneous edits. The reason is if you dont enable versioning, you would not be able to view the changes if someone else overwritten with their version.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:28 PM