locked
Problems migrating App-v 5 reporting database RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have recently migrated both my App-V Reporting database and App-v Management database from a standalone SQL Server to a SQL cluster and I am having issues with Reporting ever since.

    It seems as though the Management database has migrated successfully and the management servers are comunicating with the database successfully. However, the reporting database doesn't seem to be working.

    My setup is,

    App-V 5.0 SP3

    2 management servers,

    3 Publishing servers,

    2 Reporting servers.

    All servers are load balanced. And the databases are now on a cluster.

    It looks like the Reporting server is receiving reporting information from the clients through IIS Logging but the data is not being sent then to the Reporting Database.

    Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Any tips on where to look?

    Cheers

    Monday, November 2, 2015 9:33 AM

Answers

  • OK,

    I've cracked it. Not much on the web to get to this point but got there in the end.

    It looks like the Reporting server was communicating with the database but the SQL Cluster was just not processing the information it was receiving.

    There is a SQL Server Agent Job called "ProcessAppVReportingDataJob" which processes the information received from the clients.

    This didn't get migrated as part of the migration of the databases. So we created this job on the SQL Cluster and that has resolved the issue.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Monday, November 2, 2015 4:40 PM

All replies

  • Monday, November 2, 2015 10:03 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Simon,

    Thanks for the reply, Yes, I have updated the following registry keys on both Reporting servers and it has had no effect.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ReportingService

    REPORTING_DB_SQL_SERVER

    REPORTING_DB_SQL_SERVER_NAME

    I have uninstalled the App-V Reporting Software from the servers, restarted the servers, reinstalled the Reporting services and still not working.

    Rgds,

    Mark


    • Edited by irishsparks Monday, November 2, 2015 12:37 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Does the Reporting Server Computer Account has full Access to the Reporting Database? If you migrated the Database, those permission should actually be migrated aswell.

    Also, are there any Errors in the Event-Log on the Reporting Server(s)? Applications-and-Service-Logs\Microsoft\App-V


    Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

    Monday, November 2, 2015 1:00 PM
    Moderator
  • I have created an AD Group which contains all of the App-V servers and this AD security group has the following Membership roles enabled on the database

    appv_db_executor

    db_datareader

    db_datawriter

    The Event-log is empty also on the Reporting servers.

    I have checked the c:\inetpub\logs\Logfiles and it looks like the clients are reporting to the servers but I'm not sure if it's reporting correctly or enough information.

    How do I check on the App-V Client to see the reports before they are sent to the reporting server? i.e the cache?

    Monday, November 2, 2015 1:43 PM
  • You can force the Client to send a report via the following Power-Shell Command. (Must be executed in an elevated PowerShell Prompt)

    Send-AppvClientReport

    Does that command run without any errors?


    Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

    Monday, November 2, 2015 1:57 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi, Yes, that command runs without any error.

    Seems as though the reporting server is communicating with the client but not with the SQL server. No errors in any logs.

    Monday, November 2, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Any entries in the App-V Debug Logs on the Server? (Event Viewer -> View -> Show Analytic and Debug Logs)

    Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

    Monday, November 2, 2015 3:08 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Simon,There is nothing in the App-V debug logs

    This log is empty

    Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\AppV\Server-Reporting\Admin

    as are all the others on the AppV Reporting Servers.

    I'm wondering if it's a SQL permissions issue but can't see anything in the logs on the client or server that says so

    Monday, November 2, 2015 4:15 PM
  • OK,

    I've cracked it. Not much on the web to get to this point but got there in the end.

    It looks like the Reporting server was communicating with the database but the SQL Cluster was just not processing the information it was receiving.

    There is a SQL Server Agent Job called "ProcessAppVReportingDataJob" which processes the information received from the clients.

    This didn't get migrated as part of the migration of the databases. So we created this job on the SQL Cluster and that has resolved the issue.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Monday, November 2, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Glad you figured it out, and thanks for the feedback. :)

    If i remember it correctly that Job moves the newly gathered data from one table into another, which would explain why your report's didn't show any new data. So your 'missing' data should actually show up aswell.


    Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

    Monday, November 2, 2015 6:36 PM
    Moderator