none
SharePoint Custom Theme not displaying on Safari, Chrome or Firefox. IE OK RRS feed

• Question

• We have SP 2010 and a small problem that it does not display the same custom Site Theme on all browser platforms:

This is a desired look of the theme when using IE11:

Internet Explorer 11

When using Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari, we get to see only the default theme from Microsoft which is the dark blue one as shown below: 

Edge, Firefox, Safari, Chrome

I know SP is a MS product, and it is best seen/used with IE, but is there any way, I can see all the different browsers show me the exact same theme?

On Chrome: I tried something called IETAB and extension and it worked for me. But is there any permanent fix for the same?

• Edited by Amit Pange Monday, May 9, 2016 1:00 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 12:59 PM

Answers

• I would need to know a lot more about the code used in your theme to help you fix it.  But I would assume that you are using some CSS settings that are only compatible with IE.  You need to stick to International standards for the CSS and HTML elements in the theme if you want it to work on any browser.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:08 PM

All replies

• I would need to know a lot more about the code used in your theme to help you fix it.  But I would assume that you are using some CSS settings that are only compatible with IE.  You need to stick to International standards for the CSS and HTML elements in the theme if you want it to work on any browser.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Certain web browsers could cause some SharePoint functionality to be downgraded, limited, or available only through alternative steps.

Installing the Chrome extension IE Tab did the job for you.

It has the ability to auto-detect URLs so whenever you browse to SharePoint it emulates Internet Explorer.

You can install IETab for FireFox too.

You can use FireFox instead of Safari in your apple device.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for writing back.

I did not use an specific settings. All I did was create a Theme using PowerPoint and imported the same to SP2010. Since this particular theme is used for all the sites and sub sites we create as a company standard, we need the flexibility to view it via all the browsers.

Thank you.

Amit

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

It is a good idea to use IETab on Firefox and skip Safari, but it will be just a workaround for us. A proper solution will be not having to install anything on a browser front to address this problem..

Also one more thing I tried was, run Safari in IE setting mode, but nothing helped.

Regards,

Amit

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi Amit,

If you don't want to install anything on a browser front to address this problem, ,maybe you need do as Paul stork suggested that you need to stick to International standards for the CSS and HTML elements in the theme if you want it to work on any browser. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:25 AM